Help us decide which connectors to develop next! ๐Ÿ”Œ

Exporting clashes from Navisworks and managing issues in a Speckle powered app. Importing clash views from Navis into Revit and solving them one by one.

3 Likes

As someone who works for General Contractor, sometimes we only get Navis files from the Appointing Party in the tendering process. Having all the info and geometry available in Grasshopper would save me a lot of time I think.

Navis โ†’ Speckle is possible. Geom + Data. Navis only knows about Meshes.

Speckle โ†’ Navis is a bit of a non-starter. You can augment data to objects already in the Model, but any geometry you generate by API (and that isnโ€™t straightforward) canโ€™t be used for scheduling or clashing.

Exporting clashes from Navisworks and managing issues in a Speckle powered app. Importing clash views from Navis into Revit and solving them one by one.

So thatโ€™s a โ€œtwo-pluginโ€ request. :smiley:

Now, while @teocomi is a quiet expert in exporting Navis issues, I also have something bubbling along in the background. Iโ€™m working on an NW plugin that syncs Issue data and Viewpoints in real-time to a browser view. It uses Firebase and GCS for images right now, but I have a strong inclination to port the app as a Speckle implementation for 3D interaction. What you describe is a workflow that could be a BCF server end-point for speckle - which is food for thought.

3 Likes

Weโ€™ve definitely been mumbling internally on supporting BCF-style issues within Speckle, and youโ€™ll probably see a beginning with some commenting features soon :scream_cat:
So yeah, we definitely want to add Navis to the mix, but it might take a while before we can properly integrate it :wink:

Thanks to both for the feedback!

3 Likes

People voting for ArcGIS, great news, some planning is being made in this direction! Please help us understand better your AcrGIS usage and interoperability needs by responding to the survey: ArcGIS connector survey

3 Likes

Yeah Navis will be awsome! since it works as an integration platform for a lot of formats, instead of developing a ton of connectors you could use Navis as a federation tool for models and them Speckles to send data where is needed. it will solve a lot of workflows where you need to extract data from models and process it.

2 Likes

BIM Track!!!

1 Like

I had forgotten but am now amused to see the request I recalled was from @gokermu about Navisworks.

There is a two-part solution to my orignal pessimistic response. :confounded:

This is a different way of thinking about integration than other connectors which inject data into scenes within Connectors, but in theory, works. A Navisworks :speckle: Connector would save a โ€˜Readโ€™ as a model.speckle file (essentially rehydrated JSON) and a separate loader plugin would then convert to NWC and either aggregate or refresh that NWC file into the Scene. There will be a bunch of UX nicety to managing the streams/files in a model that is a less interesting challenge :blush: but, I have the download and conversion at least a little bit underway.

So, hopefully, thatโ€™s some embryonic good news, even though you are now more capable than I am to fulfil your :speckle: dreams.

And, yes, I have considered that this raises the mouthwatering prospect of another ADSK workaround like Revit down-versioning where you can theoretically build your own NWDs from frozen published NWDs sent from others. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Just some suggestions:
PTC-Creo (or step as common format)
Navisworks to anything (step, dgn, โ€ฆ)
Autodesk Plant 3D to AVEVA PDMS and vice versa

1 Like

Thanks @Jens !

I moved your topic here as we already have a growing list of connectors to develop :wink:
In regards to navis, the good news is that there is already a community contribution in the works!

Navisworks Connector - PreAlpha contributions requested

Cadcorp SIS Desktop is used commonly in UK Local Government, housing, and emergency services. There is an increasing requirement to share BIM data within GIS systems for planning and other purposes. A connector to support this could open up workflows that are currently extrordinarily painful or impossible.

2 Likes

Hi @jmh welcome to our community and thanks for the suggestion!

Weโ€™ll look to see if this is feasible, in the meantime we ( @Kateryna ) are developing an ArcGIS connector :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @jmh , thanks for the hint! Feel free to share any painful workflows, so we understand practical application better!

Hi,
It would be Nice to have SAF connector

Itโ€™s an open excel based data base for analytical structural models that already supports a lot of software

Would be nice to expand that to speckle connection!!!

Hi @AlonW ,

Welcome to the Speckle Community ! Weโ€™ll take a look at whether this is feasible. My initial thoughts are that SAF is another object kits that is different from that of Speckleโ€™s structural object kitsโ€ฆ We may support a SAF import/export in the future but that depends on use cases and we need to see a demand for it.

till then, i recommend joining our Structural Objects Review Meeting Where you can voice out certain things you might see in SAF that you would want to see more in our own structural object kits.

Cheers,
Reynold

Embedded 3d platforms get everywhere nowadays.

I would love to see a connector for Smartsheet. Smartsheet is commonly used as an enterprise project management tool for task tracking, project dashboards, and reports.

1 Like

3ds Max is one of the dominate modeling packages for archviz. It would great to have a connector to keep it in the current workflow of so many studios.

Thanks @kholman ! Iโ€™ve merged your thread with this existing one; feel free to add your vote on top :slight_smile:

As you can see itโ€™s quite high on the list already. Can you please describe what workflows youโ€™d be using it with? Eg: with wich other connectors?

Hi All,

I am following Speckle from a bit (and from the backseats so far :slight_smile: ).

I am currently working with a consultant that uses Trimble Plankal Nova as a MEPC BIM authoring software.

They export ifc for us to link in revit, but everytime there are issues with their files, from wrong coordinates, to geometry partially imported in a place and partially in another, non-correct geometry, missing geometry, and the list can go on.

Would be awesome to have a connector for that software and streamline the link of better geometry in our revit from their model.

Anyone else with the same issues?

Thanks a lot.

Marco.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!