Sketchup > SPECKLE > Tekla?

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the possibility of switching from Sketchup to Tekla via Speckle.
It’s easy to do the reverse, but I can’t seem to do it that way …

I think some of the answers can be found here …

… but if anyone has already taken an interest in the subject, I’ll be happy to read it :wink:

Thanks in advance
David

Hey @Dav_id we are deep diving into the Connectors for Tekla and CSI suite right now - we know we have a ways to go to catchup with what is missing.

What workflows are you expecting to attempt from Sketchup to Tekla as this isn’t something we have heard before.

I’ll refer you to my colleague @Pavol who is leading the investigations:

Hey @Dav_id we are deep diving into the Connectors for Tekla and CSI suite right now - we know we have a ways to go to catchup with what is missing.

What workflows are you expecting to attempt from Sketchup to Tekla as this isn’t something we have heard before.

I’ll refer you to my colleague @Pavol who is leading the investigations:

1 Like

Hey @Dav_id

SketchUp to Tekla is quite a jump but it’s not impossible :slight_smile: Could you tell me more about your workflow? Would you like to bring a SketchUp model for reference to Tekla? You should be able to receive meshes but this workflow hasn’t been well tested.

More advanced option could be mapping elements in SketchUp as beams or columns and receive them as native to Tekla. This workflow is currently only possible between Rhino and ETABS but we could make this happen for SketchUp to Tekla at some point. More on Speckle Mapper in this tutorial.

1 Like

Hello @jonathon! Thanks for your quick reply!

It starts with good news :wink:

The idea is that Sketchup (Trimble) and TEKLA (Trimble) already work well together (as an article or as a reference model), but that we would save time by bringing certain things that Sketchup can do easily, directly into TEKLA.

To do some of the more complicated things, we’d currently have to go through grasshopper or import one article at a time into TEKLA to achieve what we want.

Here are 2 examples of things that can’t be done easily in TEKLA but can be done very easily with Sketchup.

1. TRUEBEND Extension (thomthom)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-e4gEor_E

2. PROFIL BUILDER Extension (mind.sight.studios)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aBH_EHqXHQ

That’s just 2 examples …

I’m only posting today but I’ve been following SPECKLE closely for a while and I think it’s excellent.

I work mostly with TEKLA (and still a bit with Sketchup), but I need to work on BIM related areas. So I’ve also used other tools to process data and ifc … and used tools that you process with SPECKLE (Grasshopper, Excel, PowerBI … taking into account Revit since it is always required of us on arrival … unfortunately.

If you’d like me to test anything for your next developments and get my feedback, I’d be delighted to do so.

Sincerely
David

Hi @Pavol

Sorry, but I was a bit long in posting the above and I saw your reply after I’d posted :wink:

That’s not a problem because you can already do it in TEKLA without any difficulty.

I would obviously be more interested in the 2nd proposal (the advanced option ;))…
I’ll have a look at the link you suggest …
and I’ll let you read my previous reply for the rest :slight_smile:
BR
David

PS : i’ve posted on another Thread about “Tekla Mapping Tool” … what about it ? does it exist … or not ?

That reference confused us too. FIrst we’ve heard of it.

Hi,

It was there

BR
David

I know - we still don’t have a Tekla Mapping tool.

1 Like

Hi !

Something like this should be probably very useful between SU and TEKLA !

BR
David

Hi @David_Lash , here’s a discussion about TEKLA mapping tool … and Sketchup

BR
David

1 Like