Web Viewer - Pivot Point

Hello everybody,

I am reaching out regarding the improvement of the web viewer. Is it possible to implement a pivot point, from which we are rotating the model? Currently, when I rotate the model, the anchor point is “somewhere” and is super hard to navigate in huge models (such as infrastructure). I am talking about how Navisworks does that - when we zoom into some object and our mouse pointer crosses the model element, there is set a new pivot point. Or if it’s easier for developers, create a tool “Set A Pivot Point” and click on the model element. It will be super helpful.

Hi @mwoch, and welcome to the forum!

Guess what: we have discussed this at length, and even implemented some POCs, but the overall conclusion was “don’t” as it didn’t fit with what (at the time) was the majority’s impression that it’s more confusing navigation.

It’s something we can revisit and schedule (we can probably implement as an option).

cc’ing @benjavo and @gokermu for visibility!

1 Like

Thanks for your response!

Well. I don’t want convince to the Navisworks’s way, but in my opinion, we have to have in the Web Viewer any way to set that pivot point. Without that feature, reviewing huge models is useless ( especially with the infrastructure project where alignment, roads, and track elements have kilometers/miles.

Please consider this in the near future :wink: Believe me, this helps users a lot with navigating :slight_smile:

Just checked, can I rotate by selected elements, but it hasn’t been implemented too :wink: I cannot even rotate around selected annotations.

Can you try to first double click on the object and the rotate around.
Once you double click the object will act “like” a pivot point for rotation.

Let us know if this works for you.

Double click works like “fit to secreen to selected element” and rotate around it, however it’s not a feature that covers my needs. Let’s imagine that I have a 3D solid rail (as one element) which has 1km length and I’d like to analyze in viewer only station 0,5km and rotate around the scope 0,5km ± 10m. Using “double click”, we cannot achieve that :confused: Without setting manually a pivot point in zoomed section, I cannot see another way to do that right now.

2 Likes

Here is my example:

2 Likes

I am bumping up the topic :slight_smile:

@dimitrie, @Nikos Do you think, will you bring that feature to your Speckle Dev Team agenda? Or I shouldn’t wait for that?

1 Like

Viewer controls are always on the agenda, @mwoch. We have raised a ticket, as Dimitrie described, but this will be a consideration, not a plan. And wont come with a timeline to expect it to arrive.