Send from Excel doesn't hash the object

Workflow
We are trying to update Revit parameters using Excel: Excel | Speckle Docs. It was working great!

Issue
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work anymore. Even when I try to receive an old commit from Excel that has worked before. No error shows up, just the Speckle progress bar not doing anything after a few seconds.
We believe the underlying issue is that a change has made to the code base that requires objects to have an id property. This id isn’t generated when sending from Excel.

Workaround
It’s possible to manually specify the id in Excel to make it work again as you can see in the screenshot below. It’s possible to receive this data in Revit rac_basic_sample_project.rvt and it works again like a charm!
I just manually created some completely arbitrary hashes with only the last 4 digits changing. But this isn’t a decent solution of course.

Solution?
Would it be a good idea to automatically hash objects that are send from Excel?

Hey @JdB ,

The object ids are generated by the server, and each object must have a valid one to be stored in the db. So I’m not really sure what’s going on here.

Can you please confirm this issue is happening on the XYZ server and with the official connectors?

Thank you Matteo for the quick reply!

Ah yes of course, makes sense that the ids should be generated on the server…

Not sure what is going on, but I get this error (connecting with our own Speckle servers works just fine). We’ll investigate a bit more internally and get back to you.
EDIT: initially I get the normal log in window of the Speckle Excel connector, I fill in my correct email and password, then click on LOG IN and get this error.

1 Like

Mmmm maybe you can try with excel online?

https://www.office.com/launch/excel?auth=1

1 Like

Good idea to use Excel online. The result is the same so no id on the objects. See commit: Speckle

The table in Excel online:

elementId speckle_type parameters.speckle_type parameters.ROOM_OCCUPANCY.value parameters.ROOM_OCCUPANCY.speckle_type
857191 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 8 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857194 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 5 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857197 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 6 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857200 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 3 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857203 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 3 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857206 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 6 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857209 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 9 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857279 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 13 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857292 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 4 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857346 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 3 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857545 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 8 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
857552 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 13 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
906922 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 3 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter
940325 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.ParameterUpdater Base 2 Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.Parameter

@teocomi were you able to replicate the issue on your end? You might be enjoying a well earned break so no rush!

1 Like

Thanks for the report @JdB , I finally managed to look into this and patched the issue.
Now objects are hashed correctly and after a quick test, I can see the Revit elements are updating again.

3 Likes

Great, thank you! It’s a patch on the server?

It’s been pushed to the speckle-excel repo and to the Microsoft store plugin, lmk if you find anything else!

2 Likes