Revit connector crashes when opening set/edit objects filter

Hey Community !

I dont know wht’s wrong with my Revit 21 Speckle Connector, but everytime I click on “Set/Edit Objects Filter”, it is frozen for 30 sec and then crashes my Revit. I restarted, but nothing to do, always the same thing :slight_smile:

Looks like I cannot use my Revit Connector for now… Any ideas ??

Thanks !!

1 Like

HI @BaudouinNP!

Oh no… that sounds pretty bad! Just for reference, what version of the Revit Connector do you have installed? Could you also let us know what version of the Speckle Manager you are using?

Weird errors like these usually occur when the installation got corrupted for some reason (although, it may be something else entirely too). Just to discard that, have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the Revit Connector?

1 Like

I can try desinstalling and reinstalling yes :slight_smile:

I am using Manager v2.1.3, sppeckle for revit 2.1.27.6220.

I keep you in touch with the desinstallation :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did it… but didnt work…

Hmmm weird, it works with revit 22

Then I guess it might have sthing to see with the other installed plugin of revit 21 ?

Hmm :thinking: Oh that is definitely weird.

It could be that another plugin is clashing with ours, we’ve seen this happen before. If the list is not too long… could you let us know the plugins you have installed?

We’ve also seen this issue previously on Revit installations of different languages. What language is your Revit2021 on?
If possible, sharing the project template (privately) would really help pinpoint this issue. Let us know if this is an option for you :slight_smile:

Sooo :slight_smile:
My revit is in German.
Here are my plugins:

And I tested with multiple revit templates, it gives always the result…

1 Like

Thanks for the info! We’ll do some digging to see if we can find the root of this issue (may have to install Revit in German :sweat_smile:)

Last question for now, I swear :crossed_fingers:! Since in Revit 2022 it worked… do you have the same plugins installed there? May help us pinpoint the culprit!

Thanks again for taking your time on reporting this :smiley:

Nope that is the point, I have no plugin with my Revit22 for now

Hey @BaudouinNP ,

Maybe you could help us investigate this issue a bit? Here are two things you could help us with.

Giving us your SUUID
This will help us go through the logs and see if any specific error is thrown. To get it, open manager and click settings:

Removing other Revit addins
Removing the other Revit addins you have on 2021, one by one, and seeing if things change. You could also remove them all and add them one by one.
Most likely they are stored in this location: %appdata%/Autodesk/Revit/Addins/2021
So you could simply move their folders.

If you need guidance doing so I’m happy to also schedule a quick call, just let me know!

Good topic! The same happens to me in Revit 2021. It also happens when I click on “Create a new stream”, but I can select an existing stream.

I can imagine it is related to this problem: Become a Speckle Tester! - #33 by JdB

Manager: v2.1.3
Connector for Revit: 2.2.0-BETA

In Revit 2019 and 2020, I am able to create a new stream and choose the “Set/Edit Objects Filter” and set some kind of filter. When clicking on the send button, I get the errors below (Revit doesn’t crash).

Revit 2019 error:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Text.Json, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. Invalid pointer (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER))
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.Dict2Json(Dictionary`2 obj)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.PreserializeBase(Base baseObj, Boolean computeClosures, DetachInfo inheritedDetachInfo)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.PreserializeObject(Object obj, Boolean computeClosures, DetachInfo inheritedDetachInfo)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.PreserializeObject(Object obj, Boolean computeClosures, DetachInfo inheritedDetachInfo)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.PreserializeBasePropertyValue(Object baseValue, DetachInfo detachInfo)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.PreserializeBase(Base baseObj, Boolean computeClosures, DetachInfo inheritedDetachInfo)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.Serialize(Base baseObj)
   at Speckle.Core.Api.Operations.<Send>d__6.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Speckle.ConnectorRevit.UI.ConnectorBindingsRevit.<SendStream>d__9.MoveNext() in C:\Users\circleci\project\ConnectorRevit\ConnectorRevit\UI\ConnectorBindingsRevit.Send.cs:line 136
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Speckle.DesktopUI.Streams.StreamsRepository.<ConvertAndSend>d__2.MoveNext() in C:\Users\circleci\project\DesktopUI\DesktopUI\Streams\StreamsRepository.cs:line 22

Revit 2020 error:

The type initializer for 'PerTypeValues`1' threw an exception.
   at System.Text.Json.PooledByteBufferWriter.Dispose()
   at System.Text.Json.JsonSerializer.Serialize[TValue](TValue& value, Type inputType, JsonSerializerOptions options)
   at System.Text.Json.JsonSerializer.Serialize[TValue](TValue value, JsonSerializerOptions options)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.Dict2Json(Dictionary`2 obj)
   at Speckle.Core.Serialisation.BaseObjectSerializerV2.PreserializeBasePropertyValue(Object baseValue, DetachInfo detachInfo)
   at Speckle.ConnectorRevit.UI.ConnectorBindingsRevit.<SendStream>d__9.MoveNext() in C:\Users\circleci\project\ConnectorRevit\ConnectorRevit\UI\ConnectorBindingsRevit.Send.cs:line 136
   at Speckle.DesktopUI.Streams.StreamsRepository.<ConvertAndSend>d__2.MoveNext() in C:\Users\circleci\project\DesktopUI\DesktopUI\Streams\StreamsRepository.cs:line 22

Thanks @JdB , yes that error is related to changes in the beta, we’re working on it!
In the meantime feel free to downgrade to the latest stable release :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I can try to have a look. But the only thing is, I need my IT to write the admin password everytime I install or desinstall something, which is pretty annoying… But I will see if I can find the time this week :slight_smile:

In theory installing connectors does not require any admin privileges, so you should be able to do it yourself… If that’s not the case let me know as I’d be curious to know!

P.S.
There’s a new beta of the connectors out that hopefully fixes the issues above for good! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I will install the new beta ! Thanks a lot !

For the connectors I dont need any admin privileges, but to desinstall or reinstall my Revit plugin I do :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, it isn’t working on my end. It is slightly different then before so I just share my findings.

Manager: v2.1.3
Connector for Revit: 2.2.1-BETA

Revit 2021 crashes. One time it crashed when I tried to send a newly created stream (so creating a new stream and choosing a filter worked). The other time it already crashed when I click the “Create a new stream” button.

In Revit 2019 and 2020, I am able to create a new stream and choose the “Set/Edit Objects Filter” and set some kind of filter. When clicking on the send button, I get the errors below (Revit doesn’t crash).

Revit 2019 error (is different):

Array cannot be null.

Revit 2020 error (appears to be the same):

The type initializer for 'PerTypeValues`1' threw an exception.
   at System.Text.Json.PooledByteBufferWriter.Dispose()
   at System.Text.Json.JsonSerializer.Serialize[TValue](TValue& value, Type inputType, JsonSerializerOptions options)
   at System.Text.Json.JsonSerializer.Serialize[TValue](TValue value, JsonSerializerOptions options)