Question about openid configuration

Hi team,

I am developing a Speckle application. Few questions I want to consult.

1.what is the open id discovery path? I tried both https://speckle.xyz/.well-known/openid-configuration and https://app.speckle.systems/.well-known/openid-configuration . No such config found.

2.I notice the developer doc is migrating. My understanding is app.speckle.systems would be the latest server endpoint and the speckle.xyz is the legacy server, am I correct?

(oops. one more question)
3.Will the oauth system be “generic” in the future? I notice the oauth pattern in specklesystems/speckle-demo-app: Dev Guides: Vue.js App communicating with a Speckle Server is quite different from generic oauth.

  • the standard oauth is something like .../authn/verify?client_id=...&code_challenge=...
  • speckle is like .../authn/verify/{CLIENT_ID}/{CHALLENGE}

This is quite different from generic oauth. Well, nothing wrong here but it might take some effort to configure since we can’t use 3rd library. See Microsoft identity platform and OAuth 2.0 authorization code flow - Microsoft identity platform | Microsoft Learn

Hey @hex

The Speckle server is not an identity provider as it stands currently, so you cannot use that to log in to your own generic app with an OIDC login scheme.

What we support currently is a 3rd party oauth apps resitered through our server’s user settings / developer page. You are probably right, that the scheme does not fully fit the oauth pattern, but as we currently do not have plans to support a generic IDP path, we will probably not prioritize this for the short term.

Hope this makes sense. Also, this is not set in stone, I’d love to hear what you are trying to build on top of Speckle and figure out a way to help you get there.

1 Like

Just to echo that — while the URL format isn’t standard OAuth2, it’s still perfectly workable with vanilla REST. No need for a full OIDC or OAuth client library unless your use case really demands one.

Happy to help if you hit any snags along the way.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Better Auth Speckle

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.