More requirements for DB schema

Hi,
we have some ideas/propositions for Speckle Database schema that can boost usability :

a) Is it possible to have a low poly model for preview. Downloading big streams/commits for a brief preview is not very user friendly when we want to compare multiple of them.

b) Can access rights be at the level of an object: Personal, Organizational, Review only, Open

c) Interconnection among Streams: Is there a way to relate Streams, e.g. if the projects are related

Best,
Dimitrios Ververidis @ PrismArch

1 Like

Hi @Dimitrios.Ververidis! Nice, though questions. The easy ones:

b) Object level permissions: it’s theoretically possible, but we don’t want to go down that way. We control access at the stream level. We are looking into enabling a clear information “state” protocol, on the lines of “WIP”, “Released”, etc. There’s quite a few topics:

and

c) Not currently. I’d suggest some nifty usage of branches - you can have a branch per “sub-project”. Ideas are being shaped up in several threads, including here: Limit stream access to registered users

a) Low poly: This i’d be interested in scoping a bit more. I’m not sure of any intelligent decimation algorithm that we could run out of the box on any mesh we find, but I suspect this would be a way to go. This could be exposed via a separate server endpoint that would stream a dumb-er version.

It depends on what’s being expected here. While not decimation per se, there are “shrink-wrap” methodologies possible, this might be fine in some preview cases, but not if the low-poly version was expected to be useful in other ways.

a) Low poly: This i’d be interested in scoping a bit more. I’m not sure of any intelligent decimation algorithm that we could run out of the box on any mesh we find, but I suspect this would be a way to go. This could be exposed via a separate server endpoint that would stream a dumb-er version.

1 Like