How can I transfer Rhino elements to Revit with material capabilities?

I have been getting the hang of Speckle streams, and sending geometry between softwares, and generally it has been incredible. However, the main roadblock I am having is when sending geometry from Rhino into Revit (our main use for this software) I am unable to apply Revit materials for use in renderings. Even when sending as blocked objects from Rhino to create Revit families, the elements within the family are still recognized as DirectShape, and therefore unable to utilize material parameters. I have seen potential workarounds using Grasshopper, unfortunately that method is too much of a learning curve for the user base we are aiming for.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks very much in advance.

You are correct in your discovery, which may be disappointing for you. We don’t yet support materials application cross-application.

Thank you Jonathon. Is there any sort of timeline or expectance for this to be implemented?

Thanks again

I may have mis-spoken - Ive been checking through our development tickets and this should already be supported in some circumstances. We don’t support bump maps and texture maps in the material conversion, but even as a DirectShape, rhino material should be at least colour-matching.

Can you detail what you have attempted and found not to be working?

Thank you for the responses Jonathon. All I am looking to do is be able to apply a native Revit material parameter to geometry imported from Rhino. We utilize Enscape through Revit add-in, so this is crucial for rendering purposes.

When you say “colors match,” would this mean that if we were to get materials correct through Rhino, theoretically we could render with similar results through Revit?

1 Like

Hey @omullikin_bim ,

When you receive your model from Rhino, we are converting Rhino materials into Revit materials. Doesn’t this do what you are looking for? What is the limitation you are facing? If you can attach some screenshots, that would be great to understand your usecase.

I apologize for the late reply. Please see screenshots below. I am just looking for a material parameter capability.

2 Likes

I believe you’re working with Rhino blocks. Due to limitations with the Revit APIs geometry engine, we’ve had to use the DirectShape method to work around these limitations, as Rhino is more flexible. I have a question: why do you need the material parameter? Have you tried editing the material created by Speckle in the material editor to achieve the desired result in Enscape?

12 posts were split to a new topic: Rhino to Revit with Materials