Civil 3D Corridor to Editable Family or Model

Hello All,

I hope you are doing well.

I am experimenting with interoperability between Revit and Civil3D. So I created a solid corridor in civil 3D and received it in Revit. It awesome that it can be received by assigning project base as a reference. However, I can’t help but notice that the models are generic models and cannot be edited. Is it possible or is there any workflow maybe through dynamo to make that generic model into editable? The way I see it, it appears as a generic model but in fact it is basically a mesh. Image is attached as a reference.

1 Like

Hey @Hamza_Tariq welcome to the forum!

What native Revit element would you like the Corridor to become?
We fall back to generic models & direct shapes when there is no matching supported element in Revit, and I believe this might be the case…

I guess corridor can become a floor. I don’t have a problem with generic models if they can be editable then they can surely be useful

Thanks! We’ll look into that :slight_smile:
cc @clrkng

1 Like

Ideally, we could export a Civil3d corridor before extracting solids as one floor object with the same subassemblies applied as Revit structure layers of the floor family.

Civil3d assembly with its subassemblies:

Revit floor structure layers:

What do you think @teocomi, @Hamza_Tariq ?

1 Like

That’s an excellent idea and can work great for a corridor with same length of all the layers. But if sub base has different length such as mine, then separate floors would work wonders

1 Like

Thank you.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Do you mean variable thickness of your layers? This can be achieved in Revit too.

Or does your corridor use different assemblies in various regions and their subassemblies change? Each region could then become a separate Revit floor with its own layers definition.

But I also see the need for translating corridor solids to separate editable families in Revit.

I mean width and not thickness. For example, My asphalt is 11 inches wide and base and subbase 12 inches wide.

Btw, I see you’re working in the same field as I am. Would love to connect with you on linkedIn.

Gotcha! I guess one could work with something like this:

But it does make a lot of sense to separate subbase into separate families. This is my current workflow too: extract all corridor solids in C3D and import them into Revit as Generic Families. This helps in scheduling, quantity takeoffs and IFC export.

The only downside is that each time a corridor changes in C3D, I need to repeat all the steps. I’d love the Speckle workflow to automate this process. A dynamic corridor object would under the hood be translated to solid geometry with properties derived from respective subassemblies and brought into Revit attributed families.

Hope this makes sense @teocomi.

@Hamza_Tariq happy to connect on Linkedin and exchange more experiences.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions @mariuszhermansdorfer @Hamza_Tariq !
I’ve logged an issue, we’ll discuss internally and will keep you posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hamza Tariq | LinkedIn

Happy to connect

How do you import C3D solids as generic families? One of my goal is quantity takeoff.

I do it manually. Still on the 2019 version of C3D for compliance reasons with some legacy projects and Speckle only works with versions 2021+.

But the workflow is as follows:

• Create individual generic families per subbase category
  • Insert / Import CAD previously exported from C3D
  • Load into project

All families are using the same reference point so they correctly pop into place in the Revit project.

Also, it helps to create family templates with attributes and materials already predefined.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

good workflow.
Thanks

Hey all,

I am new to this thread, just picking up on some of the topics.
I am not sure adding corridor solids as floors is going to be a proper solution for every corridor except roads. Since corridors can also contain gutters, trays, and other objects (2d solids as bodies). For me, regarding Corridors, it is still best to import it as geometry in a family or DirectShape on relative coordinates to 0,0,0, assigning it to an infrastructure category in RVT and then load it into the project on relative coordinates.

We also struggled with the same issues on projects and came up with a work-around to transfer civil3D corridorsolids using sat-file and json for propertysets, and then translate it to directshapes in RVT project.

Question: why would you want to edit a corridor coming from C3D into RVT?

1 Like

Hi,
I wanted editable in revit because our site engineers use it for as built modelling and it would have been easier for them as they are not familiar with c3d

Interesting workflow you shared about corridor solids using satfiles and json. Could you possibly share a tutorial about it?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Mapping Civil3D solids to Revit Floors