Blender import error on installation

Hi, i have a problem with the bledner connector ,when i try to enalbe it it gives me this warning and i don’t know why, any suggestion would be appreciated

Please can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the connector through Speckle Manager.

or if you installed manually, you could try deleting the contents of this folder:
%appdata%/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 3.4

Please let me know if this is not successful, and I can help investigate further.

1 Like

recently i updated blender to 3.6 and this folder is empty i mean for the version 3.6 ,and the problem is the same :cry:

Is the error message the same for 3.6?

Please can you try installing the plugin through the manual zip file available from https://releases.speckle.systems/ in the dropdown for Blender. (look for the one with manual tag)

i remove it then reinstall the zip file and it gives me the same error message !

Are you by any chance using any other Blender plugins?

If so, please could you attempt to disable them before installing the blender connector?
If you find which plugin was conflicting, please let me know and I’ll investigate what we can do to avoid any conflicting dependencies.

thank you very mush it worked , i disable all the addons that i have installed and i dont know which one that cause the problem because from user addon i disabled all of them :heart::heart::rose:

1 Like

Do you mean special AddOns like Blender BIM … or also all standard AddOns
that Blender offers in Settings ?

And do you think it is already enough to just deactivate AddOns or do I need
to completely delete them ?

As since a week or so I was also no more able to update my Speckle Connector
AddOn and while trying so, meanwhile I lost all Blender’s Speckle AddOns.

So I am currently Speckle-less.
But I am on M1 Mac Mini with Sonoma Public Beta 14.2.

But so far I have no clue if the problem is related to latest Sonoma PB upodates,
Apple ARM Mac, other AddOns or Speckle …

We will do our best @zoomer, but @Jedd and the team will be focused on SpeckleCon for the next few days. We don’t actively support Beta OSes or Beta Blenders.

1 Like

As far as my Speckle experience, I am sure.

But take your time and enjoy SpeckleCon.

I am not in a hurry with Blender Connector.
This is just for information.
I just wonder what happened as I had no issues for a year or more.
And have no clue if it is me as a user error or whatever.

Of course !
Unfortunately updating/installation, or better activation got impossible
for official Blender now also.
Yes, this does not help for my macOS Public Beta misuage … But I have
seen here that I am not alone with current Blender Connector installation
issues.
And I had Speckle Connector running already before, on Blender 3.6 and
4.0 Alpha on (2 version earlier ?) Sonoma Beta …

Anyway,
this is not urgent for me.
So for now I only wish a great SpeckleCon !

Thanks for your patience.
As Jonathon said, we’re quite tied up with Speckle Con. So I’ve not been able to investigate too much.

However, I have got some updates to share with you that may help you out.

I’ve just published Blender Connector 2.17.0-alpha4. If you get the time. I would appreciate if you could give this a test on your mac, and let me know if there’s any progress.

Alpha 4 includes an extra step in our Mac installers to uninstall any old dependencies in ~/.config/Speckle/connector_installations upon every install. This should prevent any chance for older versions of our connector conflicting with newer versions.

However, this won’t do much for other Addons that install conflicting dependencies.
By “other addon” I do exclusively mean addons that install additional dependencies (such as BlenderBim, BlenderGIS, BlenderKit, etc). I’m unware of any first party Blender addons that include additional dependencies that may conflict, so I expect all of these to work fine.

I’m not 100% sure if disabling BlenderBIM is enough to prevent conflicts. We need to do some more testing to provide clear advice. But I do know that deleting everything in scripts\addons and reinstalling the Blender connector through Manager removes any chance for conflicts.

Additionally, Starting with 2.17.0-alpha4 I have added Blender 4.0 and Blender 4.1 to the list of versions our installers will check for.
This means our connector will install to these blender versions.
I have given it a quick test, and applied a few minor 4.X related bug fixes, and our plugin appears to work fine.
But (and I can’t emphasise this enough) I don’t recommend using our plugin with any Blender 4.X for any serious production work. Once Blender 4.0 is officially released, we’ll start our more intensive internal testing, and once we’re happy, you’ll see an announcement in our change log and docs.

1 Like

I see that worked !
SpecklePy in all 3 of my Blender Setting Folders now.

And I had the 3,6 Folder open when installing and saw that Manager
cleaned the old SpecklePy before adding the new one …

First test, Blender 3.6 activation still fails.
(4.1 too)
But I did not deactivate any other AddOns so far.
AFAIK my only external AddOns are BlenderBIM,
and All_Material_List, which I installed lately for the first time …
(And had issues installing Had to manually copy it over as the
Zip had wrong, redundant subfolders …)

Thanks for clearing things up !

I will play with deactivating/hiding my external AddOns the nexr days …

1 Like

Hi. I have a similar problem. Im using Blender 3.5, and tried both the specle blender offical release, and the new alpha version. I desactivated all the add ons. All of them. I get an error as per screenshot below

Hi @Wojciech_Kumik

Sorry to hear your having issues with the Blender Connector.

Likely another addon you have installed is conflicting with ours. It may not be sufficient to just dissable the addon from within Blender.

To resolve your issue, please can you follow these steps:

1. Backup your addons folder to another location, just incase you need to restore to your old setup.
  2. Remove all files and folders from the addons directory.
  3. Reinstall Speckle from Speckle Manager. Verify it works.
  4. Finally, you should download the latest version of the other addons you need. (ideally testing them one at a time)
    If you find installing one breaks our connector, Please let us know the addon name and version, and we can investigate.

Please let me know how you get on, I’d be happy to assist further if you’re unable to get our connector to work.

Interesting,
I tried Blender 4.0 final on Windows (11 23H2) and also get the error message
there when trying to activate Speckle Connector AddOn.
Therefore updated to 17 Alpha 4 (?) via Manager, but with same result …

Please can you send me the full console log please

Sorry, did not save it, will come soon.

For now,
I can just say that AFAIR it differed from what @Wojciech_Kumik posted.
And likely I do not have much Addons like All_Materials installed on Windows (?)
as I do not really use the PC.
And if it is because of BlenderBIM AddOn - I need that :slight_smile:

Do you mean the Blender Traceback message ?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\requests_toolbelt_compat.py”, line 48, in
from requests.packages.urllib3.contrib import appengine as gaecontrib
ImportError: cannot import name ‘appengine’ from ‘requests.packages.urllib3.contrib’ (C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\blenderbim\libs\site\packages\urllib3\contrib_init_.py)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\BlenderFoundation.Blender_4.0.0.0_x64__ppwjx1n5r4v9t\Blender\4.0\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 364, in enable
mod = importlib.import_module(module_name)
File “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\BlenderFoundation.Blender_4.0.0.0_x64__ppwjx1n5r4v9t\Blender\4.0\python\lib\importlib_init_.py”, line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1050, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 1027, in find_and_load
File “”, line 1006, in find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 688, in load_unlocked
File “”, line 883, in exec_module
File “”, line 241, in call_with_frames_removed
File "C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\bpy_speckle_init
.py", line 10, in
from bpy_speckle.operators import *
File "C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\bpy_speckle\operators_init
.py", line 1, in
from .users import LoadUsers, LoadUserStreams, ResetUsers
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\bpy_speckle\operators\users.py”, line 8, in
from bpy_speckle.clients import speckle_clients
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\bpy_speckle\clients.py”, line 4, in
from specklepy.core.api.client import SpeckleClient
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\specklepy\core\api\client.py”, line 8, in
from gql.transport.requests import RequestsHTTPTransport
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\gql\transport\requests.py”, line 11, in
from requests_toolbelt.multipart.encoder import MultipartEncoder
File "C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\requests_toolbelt_init
.py", line 12, in
from .adapters import SSLAdapter, SourceAddressAdapter
File "C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\requests_toolbelt\adapters_init
.py", line 12, in
from .ssl import SSLAdapter
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\requests_toolbelt\adapters\ssl.py”, line 16, in
from …compat import poolmanager
File “C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Speckle\connector_installations\Blender 4.0\requests_toolbelt_compat.py”, line 50, in
from urllib3.contrib import appengine as gaecontrib
ImportError: cannot import name ‘appengine’ from ‘urllib3.contrib’ (C:\Users\Speckle\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\blenderbim\libs\site\packages\urllib3\contrib_init
.py)

For Blender 4.1 Alpha - on Mac Sonoma PB
it looks like :

File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/requests_toolbelt/_compat.py”, line 48, in
from requests.packages.urllib3.contrib import appengine as gaecontrib
ImportError: cannot import name ‘appengine’ from ‘requests.packages.urllib3.contrib’ (/Users/Speckle/Library/Application Support/Blender/4.1/scripts/addons/blenderbim/libs/site/packages/urllib3/contrib/init.py)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “/Applications/Blender400.app/Contents/Resources/4.1/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 364, in enable
mod = importlib.import_module(module_name)
File “/Applications/Blender400.app/Contents/Resources/4.1/python/lib/python3.10/importlib/init.py”, line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1050, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 1027, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 1006, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 688, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 883, in exec_module
File “”, line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “/Users/Speckle/Library/Application Support/Blender/4.1/scripts/addons/bpy_speckle/init.py”, line 10, in
from bpy_speckle.operators import *
File “/Users/Speckle/Library/Application Support/Blender/4.1/scripts/addons/bpy_speckle/operators/init.py”, line 1, in
from .users import LoadUsers, LoadUserStreams, ResetUsers
File “/Users/Speckle/Library/Application Support/Blender/4.1/scripts/addons/bpy_speckle/operators/users.py”, line 8, in
from bpy_speckle.clients import speckle_clients
File “/Users/Speckle/Library/Application Support/Blender/4.1/scripts/addons/bpy_speckle/clients.py”, line 4, in
from specklepy.core.api.client import SpeckleClient
File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/specklepy/core/api/client.py”, line 8, in
from gql.transport.requests import RequestsHTTPTransport
File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/gql/transport/requests.py”, line 11, in
from requests_toolbelt.multipart.encoder import MultipartEncoder
File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/requests_toolbelt/init.py”, line 12, in
from .adapters import SSLAdapter, SourceAddressAdapter
File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/requests_toolbelt/adapters/init.py”, line 12, in
from .ssl import SSLAdapter
File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/requests_toolbelt/adapters/ssl.py”, line 16, in
from …_compat import poolmanager
File “/Users/Speckle/.config/Speckle/connector_installations/Blender 4.1/requests_toolbelt/_compat.py”, line 50, in
from urllib3.contrib import appengine as gaecontrib
ImportError: cannot import name ‘appengine’ from ‘urllib3.contrib’ (/Users/Speckle/Library/Application Support/Blender/4.1/scripts/addons/blenderbim/libs/site/packages/urllib3/contrib/init.py)

EDIT :

I wonder a bit why Speckle is searching things in BlenderBIM’s folder.

And BTW,
Speckle AddOn was activated (!) after I installed latest 4.0.1 official Blender - on Mac !
(Opposed to Blender 4.0.0 on PC or 4.1. Alpha on Mac)

But it looks like that activated Speckle AddOn does not really work anyway.
Speckle Panel is there and I can refresh and see my accounts and uploads,
but I am not able to stream something to Blender.
Everything looks OK until I press OK - then nothing happens …