Workflow Ideas! Archicad <> Grasshopper <> Blender

Hello everyone, I hope you’re doing well.

I was chatting with a member and decided to come here to ask users of Archicad, Grasshopper, and Blender for some thoughts about workflows, ideas, and related topics. I currently use Speckle a lot in my workflow, and these are my thoughts:

For interoperability, I currently use the Archicad-Grasshopper connector, Mesh Sync for Blender-Grasshopper connection, and Speckle for everything. My workflow consists of these steps:

1. If I need a large topography, I use Blender and its addons (BlenderGIS) to get the site geometry. Then, I export it to Grasshopper (via Speckle) so I can convert it to Archicad’s meshes (using the Archicad-Grasshopper connector). I finish the site modeling in Archicad by modeling the streets, blocks, and nearby houses.
  2. For initial concepts, I use Archicad for program sectorization and Blender to create some nice curve-like forms through subdivision modeling.
  3. For parametric modeling, I export Blender meshes to Grasshopper using the Mesh Sync addon. This way, I can add information to Blender’s vertex groups, like comfort analysis. While Speckle doesn’t yet support this functionality, i think Speckle Team are working on it (are they?). Then, I return to Blender and use the Tissue addon for additional parametric features.
  4. When I’m satisfied with my concept, I export everything to Grasshopper (via Speckle) for detailing and paneling the geometry, then export the geometry with all the information to Archicad’s objects, classifications, and properties.
  5. I finalize the project in Archicad, completing all the drafting and details. Then, I export to Blender (via Speckle) for rendering.
  6. When I need to create detailed furniture in Blender, I export it directly to Archicad with Speckle, ensuring high-quality representation.

Some notes:

• My entire workflow relies on using these 3 programs simultaneously, which showcases the beauty of interoperability.
  • I barelly use other programs, like Photoshop or Illustrator.
  • I also use Grasshopper for structural simulation analysis with Karamba. Sometimes I handle the entire structure there, and other times I use Blender meshes and export them to Grasshopper.
  • Inside Grasshopper, Speckle is really nice for storing information inside geometry and export it to the web. I think this is the best part of it.
  • Occasionally, I’m uncertain whether to use the default Archicad-Grasshopper connection or Speckle. I aim to explore more about Speckle’s possibilities and eventually phase out the other.
  • When i have to render the project on Blender and occasionally have multiple changes, the creation of multiple data-blocks may be a bit anoying. If there is a chance of getting an “update” button, it would be incredible.
  • This workflow is promising but still in the testing phase.

Feel free to share some of your thoughts and workflows. Speckle is indeed a game-changing feature, and even though I use it a lot in my everyday work, I still feel I underuse its functionalities.

3 Likes

We’d love to see any screenshots you might have to illustrate some this - if you are able to share!

1 Like

I’m currently in the midle of a project. I’ll post some screenshots as soon as I’m allowed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @arthur_vilarinho thanks for setting up this channel! Let’s call the #archicad users globally to join and share here.

@Efontan @Hendriko_Teguh @leceta

2 Likes

Could you please explain your workflow particularly import/export from blender in a short YouTube video.

can you elaborate further or give some link to this mesh sync addon.