View rhino layer tree in speckle online viewer

Hi,

When using the online speckle viewer it seems that i can’t use the rhino layer trees.

I tried to search for it in the object properties but it looks like the objects i sent from rhino lose their layer property.

Is it possible de view the rhino layer tree in the speckle viewer ?
Thanks ! =)

The Scene Explorer should be representative of the Layers. Are you looking to colourise by Rhino layer?

1 Like

Hi,

That’s what i thought but i can’t see the layer structure anywhere.
Yeah, colorizing by layer could be useful, but more importantly being able to hide/show select objects by layer is key since rhino realise so heavily on layers.

Can you send me a screenshot of layer tree in the viewer ?

Thanks =)

If you unfold the “architecture” toggle under the scene explorer, do you see your layers?

For example, from this: Viewer - Dimitrie's First Project - Speckle

1 Like

Yes indeed ! thanks =) but it’s not possible to filter by layer using object properties right (this idea is to colorize objects according to layers for example, just like you said above)?

This is a very legitimate request, but unfortunately no :frowning:

The why:

• we’re structuring data by default in one way (that’s what you see in the scene explorer). for rhino it’s by layers!
  • filters operate on individual object metadata - basically “orthogonal”/independent of the main structure
  • we could store on each object it’s layer’s name as a property and that would allow for that behaviour, but it’s a dangerous hack and we’ll not get it out for you in time!

Cc @benjavo and @alex for visibility on this one. What the legit solution could be, which we can properly implement via DUI3 (mind you, fast thought dump):

Each layer will come with its own display properties (material and/or colour). Within the viewer, we could have some initial display fallback rules that mimic what host apps do, which would be:

• object material, if none then
  • layer material, if none then
  • layer color, if none then
  • white

We should also think of this potentially in terms of the upcoming viewer display modes. E.g., rhino uses layer colors exclusively in “shaded” mode, and only uses materials in any of the “rendered” modes. This might be an unnecessary complication though.

Sorry @Raouf_Djema for the long answer saying basically “sorry we can’t do this yet” - but your feedback helps us improve, hence the wider team involvement on this one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer everything is clear, i understand that implementing color display through layer property is easier said then done.

If you guys can manage to pull this off it would be a big improvement for rhino users, espacially in the case of comparing multiple design options.

showing materials is not as important as this since most people structure their data through layers.

Thanks and good luck ! =)

2 Likes