UE5 - Following along with the Webinar and get an Error

Hi @RJCoolpix880,

It’s nice to hear some interest in UE5! :raised_hands:

The webinar branch does contain a fix specific to UE5, and it should be as simple as cloning the plugin into your projects’ plugins folder and switching to that branch. What you see in the webinar is exactly just that.

But, it sounds like this also isn’t working for you, which is odd.
Could you try to open the project’s .sln file (in either Visual Studio or Rider), and try and build the project that way? This should give you a more meaningful error message.

Side note: Tomorrow, I plan to merge the relevant changes from webinar to main and delete the webinar branch. I should have done this sooner so sorry for any confusion this caused.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I tried on 2 computers and it gave the same error. I tried a few rabbit holes on generating the code to open in Visual Studio, and that also gave an error.

At this point, I’m way out of my skill level and think I should just stick with UE4 :smiley:

Regardless - if there is anything I can do to help you troubleshoot to make things better for all, I’ll gladly help.

Sorry you’re having problems, UE5 can be quite temperamental.

I’ve double-checked my end, and the project builds successfully, so I can’t seem to reproduce your issue.

Could you check for an error log in your /Saved/Logs/ folder, this should tell us the reason why the build is failing. You should be able to attach the file to this thread.

I would quite like to get to the bottom of this, as we would like to officially support UE5.

If you would prefer, we could organise a quick call.

Thanks for your persistence.

Note, the changes from the webinar branch are now merged into main

Hi @RJCoolpix880
Any updates? I just want to make sure you got something working, and you aren’t still stuck!

Hi! I am getting this error. Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi @richasempire, Welcome to the forums (feel free to introduce yourself 🙆 if you’d like!)

Could you please send the Log file that should have appeared in your project’s /Saved/Logs/ folder.

MyProject1-backup-2022.03.17-06.53.55.log (11.5 KB)
Here it is! I am Richa Gupta, Design Technologist and an Architect from India. Also, part of ArchiDAO (Architecture’s First DAO)! I am trying to figure out how Speckle can make more efficient work flows!

OK, thanks for your patience.

What version of Unreal Engine are you using?

The version is UE 4.27.2

Ok thanks, I’ll do some investigation since I haven’t come across that exact error before.
Is it possible for you to share your Unreal Project with me? I noticed you are also loading a few other plugins, and I want to rule out any incompatibilities.

This Unreal project is blank/new. We can ignore it.

Very odd,

Can you confirm exactly how you installed the connector?
The docs show two methods to install
If you were installing through git before, maybe you could try using the ZIP.

I can’t seem to reproduce any issues on my end, Maybe we can organise a quick call and we can figure out a solution together?
I think the next step I’d like to try is building from Visual Studio/Rider directly to see if we get a more meaningful error.

Did both the methods! It says the same. I am in favor of the call! I ll DM you regarding it. Let me know your availability.

1 Like

Hello @Jedd
I’m Daniel, I also have followed the webinar and facing some issues with the speckle installation, I used the Git method, this is the error I get while installing.

Hi @Daniel.Sorial,

Thanks for the report.
You can safely ignore those warnings, they shouldn’t cause any problems.

That being said, I’ll look into it, because ideally there shouldn’t be any warnings :frowning_face:

Let me know if you have any other issues installing our connector!

Hi @Jedd,

I’m also experiencing the same prompt as per the above. I have tried both installation methods but no luck so far. Are there any new update/fix to this? Please advise.

Cheers,
Mark

I had an issue with speckle from git, It could not compile with UE5 Starter Content. Can you make a totally blank project [Blueprint mode, no Starter content]. I have tested in UE5.0.1 and works.

Hi @Mark_Mark

Sorry to hear you’re having issues. Could you please post the log file in Saved/Logs/XXXX.log

Hi @Jedd,

Thank you for the assistance.

I’ve ignored the warnings as you advised and I managed to find the connector in UE5 but when I try to receive any data this error shows.

Could you please make that stream public, or add jedd@speckle[dot]systems as a collaborator so I can try and reproduce the issue.