Tekla connector support for grids and reference models

Being able to process grids and reference files out from Tekla would be great. We normally have to “go first” so it would help others to follow along.

Cheers

It’s great to hear from a Tekla grids user. We attempted to wrap these up back in 2.17 but it ended up such a complicated task to scope we parked it a little til we could hear from real people how they needed to consume them outside of host app.

The complexities and capabilities were beyond impressive but not really matched anywhere else.

Any insight you can give about what you want to achieve would be welcome.

Hi Jonathan,

I use Tekla Structures to design commercial buildings where pre-cast intermingles with our steel, Speckle is a new prospect for me and I’ve been trying to work out a few ways that we could get similar improvements to our capabilities.

Frequently we “go first” and would supply an IFC model or 3dDWG with our rough understanding of the pre-cast and our associated steel to the precast provider.

They they redesign the precast and provide us with updated cads for us to import back onto the system. Lots of separating files, rotating, flipping, etc…

Generally, we would start our model with a reference file (normally the arch plan) which shows the anticipated precast wall, and we just model the panels to the height that they need to be.

In re-thinking this work flow with speckle in mind, I think it would be “enough” to provide the pre-cast modeller with a link to the speckle model which shows the reference model and the grids in case they need them for reference. Possibly including the base pre-cast panels or at least one of them so they can align to our model. Then they could pick up the model from speckle and update the all of the precast info, and we could update their model into ours for final checks and fine tuning before fabrication.

Once we have the reference and alignment sorted, meshing the 3d models one way or another should be easier.

That’s the main application that I’m striving for at the moment, we use Draftsight where I work, although I have tried to get them to get Rhino.

Our main precast contact uses Autocad, but I’m not sure about many of them yet.

I’m also working on learning C# and Tekla Structures and Draftsight API (just recently started) so that I can make some progress on some modernised workflows like these.

Cheers