Speckle & Glide

Hi,

I am new to Speckle but I am working on an interior design platform using Glide Apps for writing specifications for furniture and finishes. Many of the furniture items tend to be modelled in Sketchup / rhino / blender and I would like to be able to send the furniture model into Glide. I’ve tested out embedding a iframe which works fine

However, I would like to automate this process which I think I should be able to do using webhooks but my main aim is to be able assign material data to meshes inside my platfrom and then send it back to the originating 3D software.
This would include

• Spec Tag
  • Website / Supplier / Cost etc
  • Texture maps

I suppose I am hoping I can create something similar to the excel connector.

Could any let me know if this would be possible?

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Interesting workflow!

When you say “automate this process”, could you describe the process a bit more? What are the triggers and software involved?

It does sound like something that could be done with webhooks, our with our upcoming Speckle Automate:

Hi Matteo,

My ideal process / workflow is as follows, i’ll use sketchup as an example and please bear with me as I am non technical.

Design studio creates a model of a piece of furniture, sets it as a component and sets a project code and item code in the attributes of the component.

When a user creates a stream of the furniture item it fires a webhook that contains the attributes including the empty slots for things such as materials / furniture manufacturer / website / cost and ideally a list of meshes.

In Pointfive (my platform) the webhook is caught, it searches for the project code, and then the item code. If the item code doesn’t exist it will create one. In either scenario the stream is now matched with the corresponding database item in Pointfive and the embed code is added into the it’s row.

A Pointfive user can then add in the relevant data pulling from a company wide database of finishes / products / suppliers / manufactures. Ideally they would be able to assign materials to each mesh including a finish code. They would then be able to push the data back through the stream, thus making the model data rich inside Sketchup.

Let me know what you think but Automate certainly looks like it could be a good start.

Thanks

Hey @si_gal ,

Aside from clearing up some technical details, the flow you described is relatively straightforward.

1. Designer creates an asset in Sketchup, with metadata fields
  2. Designer publishes to Speckle.
  3. Publish event triggers Webhook (or Automate run).
  4. The webhook event states what the Project Stream and Version Commit were made.
  5. Code running somewhere retrieves the data and processes the Project Code and aligns with DB
  6. Running the app with user completes the given fields.
  7. Code running somewhere parses the version commit data and substitutes user data into relevant fields, pushes to Speckle
  8. Designer loads revised data into Sketchup

My simple questions about Glide:

• How equipped is the Glide platform to receive data at a URL endpoint to use webhooks?
  • How much custom scripting can you perform within the Glide Platform?
  • Can you make external REST calls from the Gilde platform?

Million dollar question:

• Do you anticipate the need for the appearance of materials to change in response to user input?

Ok great this sounds promising.

As for your questions

• Glide can call and API endpoint no problem Call API | Glide Docs
  • I believe there is plenty of scope for custom scripting but I will double check.
  • Will check the REST calls as well.

Haha, the million dollar question indeed and I am assuming that is not going to be possible with Speckle? If that is the case that isn’t too much of a problem as we have, for another project, developed a web based visualiser using Babylon JS that can be used for the material rendering on a model once we get it into Glide. However, I was going to ask if you can do file conversion? Our visualiser currently runs off .glb files.

Thanks for your help.

It’s possible just more complicated

The file conversion or the material rendering?

At the point where we get to material rendering we have a CTO who will be joining the team and will be moving away from Glide. At this point I’m just working out what I can do myself with small amounts of help to get some traction, and what is actually possible when our CTO joins.

Thanks

The viewable model

I was referring to your reference to the embedded viewer. You’d have to do careful changes to the object data, but others have done so before whereby the render material is editable in code and the changes becoming viewable.

What didn’t include in the steps above was a check that your own changes of speckle data didn’t trigger an infinite loop in our or your databases :sunglasses:

We don’t export glb.

You can get a lot of mileage from the Soeckle embedded viewer before needing to explore offloading to a Babylon viewer. However if you already have the notion of a viewer package, the Speckle viewer is also available as a fully functional package (it’s a wrapper of capabilities to threes)

Ok fantastic.

I would prefer to use your viewer if possible so thank you for all the insight.

A couple of last bits. Can a drawing sheet be sent from Revit to Speckle and if so, presumably it would contain data on what material marks are on the drawing sheets?

and would the same be possible with AutoCAD?

Thanks