Speckle Excel - Can't Login

Hi guys,

Recently I formatted my laptop and made a clear installation. I have installed Speckle addin from Office store successfully but cant login. I get the following error:

Could not sign you in.
This browser or application my not be safe.
Try a different browser. If you are already using a supported browser, you can try signing in again.

I use my device in Turkish. Tried to translate it :slight_smile:

I have tried to log in couple times and failed in all. Can’t find a way to change its browser from Edge to Opera/Chrome either. Any idea why I am getting this screen?

Hey G,

Thanks for the report! Can you give us some more info:

• excel version (is it web or desktop?)
  • when do you get that message? After logging in with a google account?

You could try logging in Speckle from IE first and see if that works.
You could also try turning on “less secure apps” on your google account: Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help

Hi Matteo,

I am using Excel for desktop. I get this message after I try to login with a Google account. After I type my mail adress, without even asking for a password, it gives the above error.

I believe I haven’t login to my Gmail account through Edge or IE yet and looks like Excel uses Edge. I will try as you said when I get to my laptop. (I am currently at work :slight_smile: )

So, as a current workaround you can:

• from your browser, log out of your speckle account
  • click forgot password and set a new one
  • now you are able to log in in Excel with username and password, and will still be able to login with the google account from the browser

Thanks @dimitrie for the hack. We’ll keep investigating on our end!

2 Likes

thanks @matteo and @dimitrie,

This hack gets the job done :smiley:.

1 Like

Also an issue here with logging in into the excel add-on. No google account. What should I do to login?

I get this error:

I am guessing you have an internet connection and using a licensed version of Excel.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply. Indeed. All working and licensed.

Hey @FGnl , which Speckle server are you using?

Are you on a corporate pc behind a firewall/vpn/proxy?

Hi @teocomi , no firewall vpn or something. Just a normal windows 10 with normal firewall of course. The speckle app can log in without a problem. It is just inside excel where the issue occurs.

So, assuming you are using speckle.xyz and Excel 2016 or later, these seem to be the main potential causes:

• No internet connection
  • Blocked by firewall
  • Access disabled by a security policy
  • Add-in installation disabled by an administrator for Office applications

Possible solution:
Add https://speckle-excel.netlify.app/ to the list of trusted sites in Internet Explorer.

1. In Control Panel, go to Internet options > Security.
  2. Select the Trusted sites zone, and choose Sites.
  3. Enter the https://speckle-excel.netlify.app, and choose Add.
  4. Try to use the add-in again.

Workaronds:
Have you tried using Excel online? That could be a workaround for now…

Hi @teocomi , thanks for your input. Turning the windows firewall off while logging in helped. After that I turned the firewall back on, and it still seems to be working.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that! This deserves a quote from @dimitrie

thanks bill gate$ for making Wind0w$ $ecur3

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes