Speckle as a local app? Like Teams?

Hey!

So i was looking at how Teams and other apps are built (web-based) that also has a local .exe. Turns out a lot of them are using a framework called Elektron. So it took me some tries but i managed to create a ‘speckel app’ (basically a webbrowser only loading the speckle pages itself). this framework allows you to build and run local web-apps without going to the full hosting-hassle. the result of my 30 minute brainfart is in the short video below, let me know what you think :slight_smile:

KR
D

4 Likes

Hi @Dickels112

Would you be able to share a screenshot or video instead?

I’m assuming there is a .exe file at the target of this link? In the interests of limiting malware, and preventing the use of this forum as a malware distribution channel in the future, I feel strongly that we should block the sharing of .exe files in the forum. If you are able to share a link to the source code, that would be preferable.

Iain

1 Like

Sure, I will update it shortly.

1 Like

I just tried here.
On Mac (starting with macOS 14 Sonoma ?) you can convert any web site or
Safari Window into an App out of the box. Which you can start from your Dock.
I use this for a few weather sites.

But using that with Speckle is a great idea.
Now I have a Speckle App in my Dock.

SCREENSHOT_2024-07-15_18.00.00

3 Likes

I also use PWA versions of Speckle and also Speckle Community for that matter.

and on mobile:

This is inherently possible out of the box but is not a distributable as @Dickels112 suggests. This also doesn’t make the Speckle web application less reliant on a Speckle server.

1 Like

Got it.

But I like and will keep my Speckle “App” for now.
Much faster than every now and then searching through my neglected Bookmark Hierarchy.

Nice alternatives indeed.
For me an added value is that using this framework you are also able to quickly add tools developped with streamlit e.g. to this and launcing it within this custom built app. added to it, you can also pack it into 1 dist. allowing you to run the exe without installing it. could be very interesting to people without admin permissions who need to have custom logic run on their machines.

1 Like

Benefits of open-source software. We have no plans to do this, but you can indeed.

1 Like