Speckle 2.12.2 - Revit rebar in host elements

Hello Speckle forum,

Today i ran into an issue with Revit rebar not getting transferred when using a Speckle stream.

As an example here is a basic concrete floor made in Revit. Nothing is changed from it except for the added rebar.

When i send the elements to Speckle i get the following message. This seems fine.

I create a new project and preload the used rebar shapes into the project. Then i press receive.

As you can see the floor element is created but the rebar is missing from it. Instead Speckle created a Geometry.Line representing the shape of the rebar.

Link of the stream: Stream | Speckle

Is it possible to get this working in Speckle?

With kind regards,

Rowan

1 Like

Apologies @Rowan, it looks like this slipped through the cracks.

I don’t recall seeing that the Rebar conversions were touched in the latest updates, but if you were to try with the latest Revit Connector to see if this is not working as expected?

It’s possible, if the RVT file is small, to attach that file to a comment in the viewer. That allows checking the stream and the source tightly coupled.

I lost the old file as it was just a test file. I created another one and added it as a comment on de commit below.

Commit | Speckle

Hopefully this will provide you with the needed information.

2 Likes

Hi @Rowan we’ll look at this during our 2.15 iteration - thanks for the report!

Hi @Rowan

We have started to work on better support for rebar elements in Revit <> Revit workflow and I would like to get your feedback on following:

1. Rendering of rebar in Speckle Viewer as mesh is possible but might have a significant impact on the experience, especially with large models. Better performance can be achieved with rendering of curves and could give you a good picture about rebar elements. How important is preview of rebar in Speckle Viewer for your workflow?
  2. Rebar contains main bars, stirrup and hooks. Are all these elements relevant for quantity take-offs and documentation? Or only main bars are necessary?
  3. Total length and total volume of rebar are definitely essential for schedules. Are there any other properties you would need for schedules and documentation?
  4. Parameter Updater is a Speckle feature that allows you to update Revit schedules from Excel. Does it help in your workflow?

Any other feedback is more than welcome.

1 Like

Hello @Pavol,

Thank you for reaching out to me for feedback about rebar elements in Revit.

1. Rendering a exact preview in de speckle viewer is no so important for me personally. If it indicates it with basic lines that would already be enough to know if something goes wrong or not.

2. All rebars are needed, this way we know how many rebars are needed and if they all fit properly into the host element. We use a schedule that automatically draws the shape with all the dimensions, hooks, etc. If this information is lost that means the new model or new loaded elements are not the same as the original.

3. Number, diameter, bending shape, length. (with this you can calculate most of the other values)

4. I can not quickly think of a way this could help in my workflow. Currently i already have a function to import a Excel to Revit. Would this function be able to automatically update in Revit when changes are made in the original Excel? or maybe a pop-up/notification that an update has been made? that would make it very helpful in the future and decrease the risk of mistakes.

I hope this was helpful to you. Currently i am working more in the earlier phases of projects were rebar is not yet drawn.

With kind regards,

Rowan

2 Likes

Great feedback @Rowan! We will have more news on rebar soon…

Parameter Updater is aimed for updating schedules in Revit. You need to send a schedule from Revit, then receive it to Excel. After changes, you can send it back and the Revit schedule is updated. The workflow is not fully automatic, you are in charge and you can decide if you want to update Revit schedules from Excel.