SAP2000 'Cannot Create Plugin'

what does ‘cannot create plugin’ mean? It seems like there is no file path when I look at the SAP2000 installed connector

nvm I read the docs I didn’t realize that even if I install it it doesn’t want to find the folder or the dll

1 Like

Okay real question:

I have a mesh. I have a speckle stream this is a test.

My normal lazy workflow is exporting DXF of 3DFACES to SAP2000 to import as shells. I can’t even get this to work in speckle right now because my only report response is: SAP2000 shows nothing after this. I still have a blank model

follow up:
How can I get SOLIDS to appear in SAP2000 from a mesh from rhino.

According to the docs again, support for SAP200 is fairly light:

Supported Elements

We’ve only started supporting with an alpha release of SAP2000 elements, please let us know what else you’d like to see, and do contribute if you have the skillz!

Geometry Send Receive
Point :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Columns :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Beams :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Braces :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Sections Profile (Catalogue) :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
User Defined Sections ~ refer to structural object kit (opens new window)for schema :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Material Code definition :white_check_mark:
Loading (1D,2D) note: node elements can only send :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Results (1D,2D,Node) :white_check_mark:

We haven’t heard much about SAP from users in a while - so thanks for bringing it back to our attention.

no worries! I have a use case for speckle at this moment so I am pushing it where I can.

1 Like

IS this also the same issue with ETABs?

I believe so!

There might be an option under the “advanced settings” to receive anything as meshes, not sure if it’ll work, but @connor should be able to give you a better answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t seem to have many options under advanced

it strange because the initial geometry that I exported with speckle to rhino I can import into a new model,

whatever I changed in rhino and created a stream of does not seem to want to update in ETABs

ill experiment more tonight when I have time

is it at all possible to go from rhino to ETABs?

I simply imported an ETABs model to rhino via speckle, moved a few meshes in rhino and then tried to update it in ETABs but it will not import and gives me ‘skipped’ errors.

@Tushar_Nagananda

Sorry it took me a bit to get around to this. Yes, this workflow is possible, but ETABS and SAP won’t receive dumb meshes, which is how objects exist inside rhino. What you have to do is use the Speckle Mapper in rhino to map your rhino lines to beams. You can see a demo of this happening here. Apologies about this not being documented very well, it’s still in early-ish development.

Hey its all good its not mission critial I have just been testing this out before I use it on a project this week potentially.

what you said makes 100% sense bc when I import DXF meshes as you note they cannot come in without assignments so I was trying to figure out where to assign. I take it I have to wait for a mapping tool from ETABs before I can do something like ETABs → rhino, edit → ETABs

For now I assume I can just actually work in grasshopper and work that way to edit ETABs models

thanks!

1 Like