Rhino to SketchUp model take a lot of time

The model is some small, and it takes too much time till now I can’t rely on Rhino to sketchup workflow as I’m waiting for ages for large models.

Could you make it run faster? :grin:
Stream link to check
https://speckle.xyz/streams/0b9ecc7d59/commits/b198a62331

Could you give us some benchmarks of how long it’s taking you? How long you expect it to take?

How do you otherwise exchange rhino and sketchup in both directions and how long your do your alternative methods take?

—-

All Speckle exchanges speed up over time as only changes are transmitted. This model is relatively simple, but how slow is too slow?

Hey @Hussein_Hamed ,

Sketchup connector is slower than our other connectors and that’s because of Sketchup’s way of handling meshes. We have to make some checks before creating valid faces and that makes the process slower. In your model, it is the Terrain that is causing the issue. It has a bunch of small vertices.

It is on our roadmap to speed up receiving in Sketchup. I created an issue on Github so we don’t forget about it.

2 Likes

It’s weird, I didn’t expect this as I know Sketchup can get a pretty huge Geo-Locations (topography) and process it with ease
Any way I’m waiting for your fix.

تسلملي يا بلبل

Hey @Hussein_Hamed!

I’m thrilled to share some fantastic news with you. We’ve made some major improvements to the SketchUp connector, and I have to say, the results are amazing! The new receive times are now 5-50 times faster, depending on the complexity of the model, which is a massive improvement from before.

I just tested your model, and it took only 10 seconds to receive. I’m so excited to share this news with you, and I hope that with these improvements, you’ll never have to wait ages for large models again! Download and install the latest version right away, and let us know what you think!

6 Likes

Greaaaaaaaat :star_struck:
I was waiting for this reply since I posted the problem here, you guys are Awesome!

2 Likes

I tried it with another model but the result is Very bad!
@gokermu @jonathon
https://speckle.xyz/streams/dda03ae2cf

Hi @Hussein_Hamed,

That is a different issue. Currently, when we send Breps from Rhino, we don’t include any information about the edges, which results in all edges being softened and smoothened when received. However, all geometry, materials, layers, and camera information are still available. It just requires a bit of cleanup in SketchUp until we implement a fix.

To get a model similar to the one in the screenshot, you can harden all the edges and then use the Cleanup plugin to merge co-planar faces, and lastly soften edges until you get the same look. Take a look at the below recording, I hope it helps:

2 Likes

I know this Manual fix and I want speckle to automate this process or create better geometry because exporting from Moi3D to sketchup result is the best as I only get Quad meshes on the other hand speckle get triangulated meshes

1 Like

Not all applications support Brep geometry, so to ensure better compatibility, we often create a mesh representation of the geometry. I’m not familiar with Moi3D, but if it meets your needs, feel free to use it. We have received feedback regarding the Rhino to SketchUp workflow and are actively working on improving it, including addressing this issue. However, at Speckle, we strive to provide a wider range of connections between software platforms. When we add new behavior to our Rhino/SketchUp connectors, we must also consider how it will impact other connections.

3 Likes