Rhino 8 Connector is finally here!

Yes, Grasshopper too.

Right now we’re testing side-by-side compatibility with PC installs of Rhino 7 & 8, Mac lovers may have to wait til that’s concluded.

1 Like

Well that’s fine,
This week I have too much work to do but next week i’ll look around.
It’s a good news

2 Likes

THIS IS FANTASTIC! Do you have a timeline for the mac version?

1 Like

hey @grigoriadis.georges ,

We’re working on the Mac version, but it is a bit more challenging than Windows. But don’t worry, we’ll keep you in the loop and notify you as soon as it’s available for testing. Thank you for your patience!

2 Likes

Hi @gokermu ,

This doesn’t appear to have worked for me. I just get a blank modal in the speckle and speckle mapper tabs. Is there a specific version of Rhino 8 that this is working with? We’re on SR1 (8.1.23325.13001, 2023-11-21).

Thanks

Ahh, yes, this is helpful info.

You do need the 8.3 patch release that came earlier this year; this removed some unused but blocking dependencies.

I have amended the original announcement post above to make this clearer

Welcome to speckle @Jmathers by the way :spockle_smirk:

1 Like

Thanks. Can confirm it works with the latest release.

2 Likes

Hi @gokermu, do you have a rough estimate on when will it be available for testing? I’m operating in a mixed environment and the Windows side can be used with Rhino 8, but I wouldn’t necessarily want to change the .NET runtime as suggested here (SetDotNetRuntime is an unknown command on my Mac, I’m running Version 8 (8.6.24101.05002, 2024-04-10) on an M1 Max MBP - any thoughts?).

This is another note in the incompatibility headaches in the AEC with Apple column to move away from Macs, which is far too long by now. -.-

1 Like

We don’t tend to put a timeline on not-house-burning-down priority features, but it is fair to say that we know Rhino/GH compatibility is a crucial part of Speckle’s DNA.

Our primary release cycles are 6-8 weeks, which could be within 2.19 or the release after that.

1 Like

Hi all,
I tried to install the speckle connect for Rhino and revit. Revit just worked fine, but on Rhino it doesn’t show anything, I don’t know why is not working.

Actually it worked on Rhino 6, but Rhino 8 which I have just a trial license it didn’t work. (not sure if it makes difference, the license)

Cheers
Guilherme

Hi Guilherme,

Welcome to the Speckle! Feel free to Introduce Yourself if you feel like it🖖!

I moved your post to this thread here.

To use Speckle in Rhino 8 you need to install 2.19.0-wip2 Rhino Connector. And for the best experience, also upgrade the Revit plugin to the same version.

Please read this comment for more instructions:

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Hi Nikos,

I’m also having the same problem, the Speckle connector is not showing up in Rhino8. I did install the 2.19-wip2 and tried wip3 too, but with no success. I also tried to change the dotnet runtime, but still not working.
I also have Rhino 7 installed and Speckle works fine there.
Any ideas how can I troubleshoot this?
Thank you!

Paolo

1 Like

Hi @palbo

I´m sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the Rhino Connector.

Can you please try to install 2.19.0-wip. This version is recommended for Rhino 8 but still WIP.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

2 Likes

I’ve been having this issue too. I’ve tried 2.19.0-wip, 2.19-wip2, and 2.19.0-wip3. I think the issue is that when I install any of these from the Manager for Speckle, it creates and installs Speckle in a new Rhino 7.0 folder rather than installing in the Rhino 8.0 plug-ins folder. I had both Rhino 7 and Rhino 8 installed, so I uninstalled Rhino 7 along with all connectors. Then I went through the process and tried to reinstall the connectors again. It still creates a new 7.0 folder and installs Speckle in the 7.0 plug-in folder instead of 8.0. If I manually move the SpeckleRhino2 folder into the 8.0 folder, I can follow the work around to get it to show up…but I still have to follow the workaround of manually loading the plug-in and changing the dotnet runtime setting.

4 Likes

Hi @Mamidon,

Thank you so much for sharing your solution. This is very helpful for us.

The Rhino 8 connector is still WIP, the team is working on that and we are expecting new updates soon. :rocket:

2 Likes

Thanks Nikos!
Yes 2.19.0-wip works!

1 Like

Hey @Marc_HERMOUET @Jmathers @RH-gmiranda @palbo @Mamidon ,

We have released a new WIP version for the upcoming 2.19 release. This version includes a fix that correctly installs the connector for both Rhino 7 and Rhino 8. Any conflicts or errors that were previously encountered should now be resolved. Could you please check this version and let us know if it works for you?

2 Likes

You and your team are awesome. Works great. I freaked out for a second after opening Rhino 8 and getting a “failed to initialize” error, but that was just because SetDotNetRuntime needed to be set back to “default”.

3 Likes

I seems that the grasshopper connector doesn’t work with the new type of Rhino model object elements like the content cache. I can only get the send to work with traditional model elements. (Using the speckle for Rhino Send from the sidebar does send any user attribute text) I get an error whenever I connect the send element to the content cache or to the new Rhino Model Object parameter.

I suppose a work around would be to use the Extend Speckle Object to write data to a speckle object and to the Rhino Geometry. You would need to make sure your script captures any existing data and merges that with the new data. If you don’t add that functionality you would lose data that was added outside of your grasshopper script. The content cache has this functionality built in with the Endure Update etc
options. Its by far more desirable to have the content cache update the Rhino model and then also send data / geometry to Speckle.

Thanks, @bfortunato. Others have indeed reported this, notably @Jonathan_Rabagliati.

The release that you are using now for Rhino8 was a base port from Rhino7 to Rhino8 with the new .NET runtime (and resolving install locations, as it turns out)

We have already logged a development ticket supporting new GH object models. Watch this space.