Revit to Sketchup (Multiple instances of Revit link model)

Hi all, I am sending a model from Revit to Sketchup. Given the needs of the project, in the Revit model, I have multiple instances (3) of a same Revit link.
At the time of making the stream, I only get one (1) instance of the Revit link to be sent (Not the copies of this (3)).

any idea or help?
Thanks!

Hey @Alonso_Caceres welcome to our community!

Have you enabled sending of linked models in Revit?

See: Revit | Speckle Docs

Hi @teocomi thanks!. Yes, I have the sending of linked models option enabled. That is why I receive (1) instance of Revit Link (but not its intances/copies).

Hey Alonso, thanks for confirming!

It turns out the Revit connector is assuming only 1 instance of a linked model can exist in the document.
I’ve logged you issue here: Support for sending multiple instances of the same Linked file · Issue #2823 · specklesystems/speckle-sharp · GitHub

Unfortunately, the resolution is not straightforward, so we need to brainstorm a bit internally how to go about it.

It could help us to understand a bit more about your use case, what type of workflow are you dealing with?

1 Like

Hi @teocomi

This issue has been raised here also. We have a customer who works with developing townhouses, which essentially is a lot of modular blocks (instances of the same links) that are put together to form the final layout.
The customer wants to be able to send the full project to RTLCA from the file that links everything together.

1 Like

Gotcha! We’ll try prioritize it, it’s not a straightforward change but we’ll get there :slight_smile:

Hello!

New user here, still finding my way around. @teocomi our company designs modular housing systems and projects -

The ability to have repeated revit links is fundamental to my workflow. I see lots of potential for Speckle as a project data system, but standardising (and therefore duplicating) parcels of information is the name of the game :grin:

Any further update on this functionality would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for sharing and welcome to our community Jim!

Having context around a feature request always helps us prioritize it. Cc @Pavol

Of course, and thanks for the welcome.

So our modular models are formed using few layers of nesting, the hierarchy looks like:

Units (e.g. an apartment) > Modules (factory assembled boxes) > Panels (pre-fab floors, walls, roofs)

Each of these are modelled in Revit as separate rvt files, and are linked into each other to form a complete model. The aim is to create the minimum number of models and drawings, repeating standardised information wherever possible.

Designs are managed independently of any project, and we have lots of data associated with them, which is currently handled via Airtable.

Then when a project comes along, it is a case of creating a new project revit model, linking in the Unit rvt instances wherever needed to complete the project design. Then, using that nesting relationship to determine lots of things, such as bill of materials, costing, supplier capacity, programmes, etc etc…

Lots of this is inhibited by the natural limits of Revit functionality, and I’m hoping Speckle can unlock a few new workflows for us.

But, this is entirely dependant on the ability to see multiple instances of links in a model! Hence my interest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a well defined and described use-case @JimA thank you.