Revit to Blender

Hello!
I am just trying this workflow currently and was wondering if it is possible to update the Revit model and just re-link to Blender after sending it. I am sorry if this is a dumb question.

I’m trying my best to get into the system as quickly as I can. I appreciate any clarity.

Thank you!!

Hey @ceresfina ,

Welcome to the community! Feel free to Introduce yourself :person_gesturing_ok: to the community if you want to! :grinning:

Have you tried following this tutorial?

2 Likes

Great Video !

I see I still have a lot to learn on how to use Blender.
It helped a lot to see some Blender workflows and approaches.

But one thing looks a bit problematic from my visualizer’s perspective.
The need to update the UV for changed/updated (and new ?) geometry.
Too error prone and basically impractical for my larger projects.

Maybe that general UV need is a general Blender problem.
Usually in Architecture/Exchange, 90+ % of Materials would work easier
and more reliable by a simple cubic projection mapping instead of a UVW.
Not yet sure if there will be any workarounds or alternate workflows in Blender.

From Speckle’s side itself (features, translation, …) it looks impressing.

1 Like

Our team uses box projection mapping within Blender for most of the geometry coming from Revit. Just plug the “Object” output from a Texture Coordinate node into the “Vector” input of a Mapping node like so:

You can either link the object coordinates to a helper object or use the individual object position for mapping. We also scale our textures based on inches so we convert the value from inches to meters (Blender default units).

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you mseawell, of course that helps !

I tried playing with nodes a few times but it did not work for me so far.
I copied your screenshot and will try again.

1 Like

I am just trying this workflow currently and was wondering if it is possible to update the Revit model and just re-link to Blender after sending it.

Unfortunately, re-importing a model from Revit to Blender creates duplicate objects but the Speckle team is planning to fix this at some point according to this post: https://speckle.community/t/revit-to-blender-creates-duplicates-in-blender/8083/19

1 Like

Hello, Thanks for that! I’ve read the entire thread and it is currently what I am having. I thought I was doing something wrong because I was following the tutorial step by step.

Apart from re-linking, I want to dive deep into this workflow as it’s a big help to my projects!
heaps thanks for the team :pray: :pray: :pray:

3 Likes