Revit Materials

Hi’ there!
It would be really nice if the Revit Connector was able to export information about the element sublayers, ie. Material Name, Material Volume, User Defined Material Parameters …
We are currently investigating different options to do Carbon Emmision Calculations from the model.

I’m aware off the Speckle v1 Arup Carbon and the newer Carbon Tool that was developed at the speckle hackthon, which @izzylys showcased at the conference.

Thanks,

/Martin

3 Likes

Hi Martin!

On Arup Carbon - we’re currently in the process of building out a v2, now called ACT, which is open-source and also inspired by @izzylys & co’s efforts at the hackathon. Repository below. Would be great to talk through what you’re trying to achieve and see if there’s any opportunity to partner up.

Currently we’re only looking for volume properties within BIM objects but would be keen to get more data out to improve the process of generating a carbon assessment.

Tom

3 Likes

This actually might help in getting more accurate model info for these kind of reports. As a revit noob question, do these parameters exist by default on families/objects?

Asking as in the past (@tomhebunn knows this quite well :sweat_smile: ), if i remember correctly, data was quite flaky/bad, so the easiest and most robust (but less accurate) way was to simply rely on the given element’s computed volume…

1 Like

Hi’ @dimitrie,

Sorry for the late reply.

The material volumes are actually available OOTB Revit.
Blue: OOTB Parameters
Red: User Defined Parameters
Green: Calculated Parameter

The Material Takeoff Schedule is standard way of getting the materials apply to the elements, so if the materials are defined, they will be in this type of schedule. In this example the schedule if sorted by the element types and the materials are summed under these types.

For those element that contains inhomogeneous layers it would be necessary to do a recalculation, which takes the material ratios into account. But this shouldn’t be a part of the scope.

I’ve taken the opportunity to upload the walls from the Revit Basic Sample project, that has the User Defined parameters attached.

This would make carbon emission calculations soooo much easier in a Speckle Frontend :smile:

/Martin

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for sharing! :clap:

tag: #carbon-tool

This is just me writing two letters so I can add the #carbon-tool tag to join posts to each other.

What have I missed? The tag is just going back to the other post and not listing this post at the same time … ?

That might have to do with some discourse permissions, I’ve added the tag for you!

1 Like

Hi all,

Just to leave an update on this subject/ feature.
This merged PR implements a solution, thanks to @ks4 :pray::clap:

4 Likes

Hey all,
Using the latest available versions of Manager and the Revit connector, I am still not getting any materials information (OOTB parameters) available through my latest commit.
Could anyone here advise if I am missing a step? My understanding from the above post is that the issue had been sorted a few months ago.
TIA

Hi @hayden-wright,
Did a test just yesterday with a simple Wall object and it worked as expected.
Can you provide some more information on the Revit Elements that you’re sending to the Stream and maybe share a public stream?

Thanks

/Martin

5 Likes

Hey @martinromby
Thank you for the reply.
Here is a link to the stream I am testing with - it is a supplied sample model with Revit 2021.

I have also attached some screenshots. I am specifically chasing the “Structural Material” as a string, as shown in the Revit screenshot. Within Speckle I can see some data under “Render Material” but nothing with regards to structural. Maybe I am looking in the wrong location?

Cheers

Well - ignore the above… I see my error now. The material is there as a string, it’s just a little buried. Sorry for wasting your time @martinromby

3 Likes

@martinromby

I’m having issues with textures not being imported. I’m streaming using Revit into rhino; and it seems this issue always happens when exporting out of Revit to any program other than 3ds max.

I’m new to the forum so I’m not sure if there has been discussions regarding this matter.

Any information will be appreciated.

Hi @Payman_Salehishafa, and welcome to the forum! Don’t worry about being new, we’ve all been new somewhere at some point in time :slight_smile:

It’s true that textures are not being supported yet in Speckle, though we have the infrastructural parts ready. If curious, you can track the following pull requests in our codebase:

2 Likes

@dimitrie have images been tested in production yet? We are interested in looking at Revit to Revit Material Updating. Its such a pain to keep in sync across files and Speckle would be a great fit.

2 Likes

Now that the 2.10 release is imminent, blobs will be merged into core afterwards, so there shouldn’t be any more technical barriers. Regarding prioritisation and what’s the status, I’ll ping @Pavol & @luisfraguada.

Our first workflow target would be texture support Rhino > Web as a way to dip our feet in the world of PBR-ish material support and the endless pain 4k textures will for sure cause us, but we’re happy to look at other usecases. Yours specifically might be easier to handle, as it would have less moving parts - just attached blobs around that should be referenced back on receive, and things should work the same in Revit.

1 Like

Right, this would simpler because its focus is on the Revit Material Type Data so this wouldn’t have a display component.

1 Like