Revit - ETABS connection - Scaling issue

• Objective: To import model from Revit to ETABS ( Ro simply simply create a link between Revit and ETABS)

• Issue: The model gets scaled down by a lot when exporting from Revit to ETABS. I am not sure if it is because of some problems with the units. But I have tried to make sure the units are aligned in both models.

• Example: The sample model I am trying has a width and length of 5m. But when imported to ETABS, it has become 0.1969m.

• Speckle link: https://app.speckle.systems/projects/bca460e8cd/models/f426fe218d

This is my first time exploring Revit and ETABS connector. When I import model from Revit to ETABS, the model is extremely scaled down.

Can someone explain why this is happening and how to resolve this problem?

@Mohamed_Sabith, can you set the project as a shared link? No one can access your model without doing so.

Thanks @jonathon
I just made it as Shared link.

Hey @Mohamed_Sabith ,

I just looked at your model. It seems to be sent from Revit 2020. That version’s API has a limitation. Can you try sending from a later version (preferably 2022 and above) and see if it persists?

Hello @gokermu and @Mohamed_Sabith,

I’m experiencing the exact same issue.
The model seems to be scaled down.

I conducted tests on Etabs 19.1.0 and Revit 2024.

Here’s an example: The dimensions between both columns should be 5.86m, but when I receive data in Revit, it scales down to 1.786m. I can’t seem to find any scaling option during the sending or receiving process using Speckle.

Please note that I can already tell that the issue comes from the import process in Revit. The units on the Speckle web app seem fine. However, the model scales down when I import it into Revit. But I could be wrong !

Etabs :

Revit:

Speckle link :
https://app.speckle.systems/projects/200f6a00f4/models/b1eee1581a

Hey @gokermu
Thanks for looking into this.

However, I wasn’t using Revit 2020. I was using Revit 2023 for this.

And according to @Gab, the issue is there with Revit 2024 also.

2 Likes

Hey @Gab @Mohamed_Sabith ,

I looked into the issue you reported and it seems like you were right. The units are being sent correctly from ETABS but unfortunately, something seems to be going wrong when receiving them in Revit. We’ll definitely look into it and get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, we really appreciate it!

2 Likes

I’ve invested numerous hours since last week attempting to devise a workaround to resolve this issue, but unfortunately, it’s proving to be quite challenging. Is there anyone familiar with a method to export the data in millimeters instead of meters in Speckle? I strongly believe this adjustment would resolve the problem. Despite my efforts in Etabs, it consistently exports data in meters :cry:

1 Like