Powerbi Connector not showing up

This makes me sad :cry: :wink:. Maybe we’re missing some clarification in the Installation guide? :thinking:

As for your missing option, I think you may be in the wrong tab :sweat_smile: Check in Security

Unfortunately that seems like it’s the only solution: did you check that the path spelling & spacing is correct? Also, do you have the data gateway installed by any chance? Also, PowerBI needs to be restarted after dropping in the .mez file :slight_smile:

Hey @AlanRynne ,

I did opt for the option in ‘Security’ tab for non recommended extensions. Unfortunately, it doesn’t give us any desired result. I think this is one of the edge cases. Also, an info of my current PC status, I am working with a local account this might be the case. I wasn’t able to test this on administrative account.

@clrkng I did check the path spelling, and spacing as well. I think, I am missing some info with regards to PowerBI external connectors. I will look there.

Thank you @AlanRynne and @clrkng
Best Regards
Saqib Qamar

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to us @SQMalik. I’ll dig a bit further on my side too, and try to figure out what could be going on.

Maybe for local accounts the PowerBI connectors path is different? :thinking: Do keep us posted if you find anything useful, as I’m sure you won’t be the last user with this problem.

1 Like

Hey @AlanRynne

I finally found the mistake! It was spelling error in the folder name.

Thank you for your time!

Best regards
SQ

1 Like

Good to know!! Looking forward to your feedback on the PowerBI connector. Any ideas on how to improve it will be very appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @AlanRynne ,

It would be really easy for people, if we could have small clips of all steps involved in loading and deploying data using speckle in power bi. It seems like spoon feeding, but it can save people tons of time and make it more user friendly.

Regards
SQ

Hey @AlanRynne,

I uploaded my stream on Power BI. Unfortunately, I couldn’t see any output.
I am uploading screenshot of this.
Quick question, do we have any material on how to operate power bi for speckle?
Any guidance would be really helpful!

The stream is as follows:

Thank you!
Best regards

SQ

Instead of copying the main branch url, could you try copying stream home url? I think PowerBI connector doesn’t support branches at the moment (yes, even when it is the main branch).

2 Likes

We are supporting branches with the latest version of the connector!

This is probably because the PowerBI connector isn’t handling cases where the commit is just one single object and not wrapped in a commit Base object. We’ll look into fixing this case in our connector, or changing the way the Dynamo connector sends single objects. Thanks for reporting it!

Meanwhile, can you check if you’re still getting this issue when retrieving data from commits that are structured like the image on the right:

4 Likes

Also, we’ll post a video and guide on how to get started with the PowerBI connector soon, now that it’s more stabilized. Hopefully that’ll help address common issues like installing the connector and receiving data :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hello @gokermu ,

I did try that. Unfortunately, it didn’t work!
@clrkng Thank you for the support! Quick question, how do I get my missing ‘Base’ case?

Best Regards
SQ

From Dynamo, if you send more than one object it should be attached to a commit Base. This was an oversight on our part about not using a Base container only for single objects, we’re currently discussing whether or not we should change the connector to always send with Base at the root regardless of object count!

1 Like

Hey @clrkng ,

Well I tried with single element and with Base structure data and then I get the error that:

Details: “5 arguments were passed to a function which expects between 3 and 4.”

attaching a short clip!

Regards
SQ

We’ll investigate where this error is coming from, but I just checked your stream and that object you’re trying to retrieve only contains a list of 15 null values!

In general, we don’t expect users to be receiving geometry data like large meshes into PowerBI - could you elaborate on what you’re trying to do with your spiral mesh in PowerBI?

Properties like mesh faces and vertices are serialized as data chunks, which we are omitting in our connector since we assume these super long lists of vertex coordinates would not be useful to users. If we got that wrong, let us know!

2 Likes

Hey @clrkng ,

The idea is not much, its more of an initial study on how to connect powerbi with speckle and make an interactive session on power bi. Right Now, I didn’t put any data on dynamo script other than the Meshes. But once, I am successful in sending dat on powerbi , I will add more data to it, in order to see the effectiveness of interaction of speckle and powerbi. If that is successful, we can start deploying the projects on it and work forward.

Well, this is a plan!
Regards
SQ

Ah okay, if that’s the case you should try sending some data from Revit! There’s more data to play around with when you’re sending elements with non-geometry properties.

Looks like you did find a bug in how we handle Object urls however, which we will fix asap :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey there! Looked into it real quick and that error you were getting was actually an issue on our end.

I just published a new release that should fix it. This doesn’t fix the issue when sending a single object from dynamo, so be sure to send at least 2 meshes! :smiley: We’ll get to that soon enough, but it has to be fixed on the Dynamo side.

You can grab the latest release from here Release v0.0.7 · specklesystems/speckle-powerbi · GitHub

1 Like

Hey @AlanRynne ,

I will give it a try and Thank you for the update!

@clrkng Well, yes, True, will give it a go! Thanks again!

Regards
SQ

A post was split to a new topic: Power BI Connector not showing up