Places you might find a grasshopper plugin

Hi folks,

If you are having trouble with the Grasshopper plugin, and want to uninstall and reinstall it, there are a few places you might have to look. This will be mosly relevant for those of us who have been using Speckle for a while and have installed and reinstalled the components in various ways… Anyhow, I spend a few hours tracking this down, and thought I’d share what I’ve found:

• %APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins: This is where the main Speckle installer puts it.
  • %APPDATA%\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries: If you dragged the SpeckleGrasshopper.gha file onto the Grasshopper canvas, it might end up here.
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins: If you installed the SpeckleRhino RHI file directly, and select ‘All Users’, it might be here.
  • %APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\6.0\: If you install the plugin via the package manager, it will go here (but you can’t yet, so if it’s here I have no idea what’s going on)
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins: I’m not quite sure how it could get here, but it’s possible…

I have created a test grasshopper file that will show you:

1. the location that grasshopper has loaded the Speckle components from (orange panel)
  2. a list of folders that have speckle rhino, or general speckle plugins. The list may not be exhaustive, but it’s a start)
  3. The windows registry key that shows which SpeckleRhino plugin is registered with Rhino.

If you thought you uninstalled Speckle, but it’s still showing up in Grasshopper, just open the test file and it will show you the next location to delete.

5 Likes

Thank you @daviddekoning for sharing these tips. I’ll mark this as Solved✅ for forum moderation (eventhough you’ve already solved it :))