Issues with ArcGIS Speckle Toolbox installation

I have just installed Speckle with the ArcGIS Connector, but the Speckle toolbox did not show up as expected, even though the Python environment cloned correctly. After manually adding the toolbox to ArcGIS Pro 3.3.1 and investigating further, the Import modules listed in the base speckle_arcgis.py do not match the modules present in the two speckle site package folders, speckle_toolbox and specklepy.

I tried manually correcting the paths, eg there was no specklepy.core.api folder, but the referenced modules are all in the specklepy.api folder instead. I had to give up, though, as some modules like the GIS one shown below do not exist at all in the referenced module:

Traceback (most recent call last):
ï»ż File “”, line 4, in
ï»ż File “C:\Users<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-speckle\Lib\site-packages\speckle_toolbox\esri\toolboxes\speckle\speckle\speckle_arcgis.py”, line 55, in
ï»ż from speckle.speckle.plugin_utils.object_utils import callback, traverseObject
ï»ż File “C:\Users<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-speckle\Lib\site-packages\speckle_toolbox\esri\toolboxes\speckle\speckle\plugin_utils\object_utils.py”, line 8, in
ï»ż from specklepy.objects.GIS.layers import VectorLayer, RasterLayer, Layer
ï»żModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘specklepy.objects.GIS’

Hi @davemcp ! The support for ArcGIS Python connector has been dropped some time ago, but the brand new ArcGIS connector is coming soon🙏

1 Like

Thanks @Kateryna! How soon is soon?

Early beta-version should be available within a month :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi Kateryna, I’ve downloaded and installed the beta ArcGIS Connector, but all it does is install the Speckle Addin to ArcGIS Pro - it doesn’t update or install the speckletoolbox python libraries, which are still at v2.18 and which contain mismatches between the toolbox scripts and the installed python libraries.

Am I missing something?

Hi @davemcp ! You are right, the new connector is written in C# and doesn’t affect the Python setup, you can even go ahead and switch ArcGIS Pro back to the default Python environment :raised_hands:
Also looking forward to your feedback bout the new connector! NEW Connectors Open Beta - #8 by dimitrie

3 Likes

I can see both my selected ArcGIS layers and Speckle models in the ArcGIS Connector, but trying to Publish the former and Load the latter fails with dependency errors:
Dependency error resolving Speckle.Connectors.Utils.Operations.SendOperation`1[ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MapMember] within UnitOfWorkFactory

Load error is similar: Dependency error resolving Speckle.Connectors.Utils.Operations.ReceiveOperation within UnitOfWorkFactory

The publish error has a full stack trace which I won’t copy here, but can provide if it’s of any use.

I am also playing with projects on both my company’s and the default Speckle servers. If my Manager has the default server set to the company one, the project is listed as Private. Does this imply that projects for the beta connectors should reside on the public Speckle server?

Hi @davemcp , the full stacktrace would be super helpful! Also:

1. What ArcGIS Pro version are you using?
  2. What type of layers are you trying to send and from what kind of map (Map/Local/Global Scene)?
  3. Not sure I understand the “listed as private” part :thinking: Server shouldn’t make any difference, could you attach a screenshot of what you mean?

Thanks!

1. ArcGIS Pro version 3.3.1
  2. Simple polygon layer with 1 feature selected from a Map
  3. See screenshot

Not really an issue as this is the stream info from python, showing the accessibility of loaded projects, one of which was shared privately by the owner:
[Stream( id: db1b38af61, name: Anglesea Aurecon, description: , isPublic: True),
Stream( id: 3b7b7a2060, name: REAL-Test-Project, description: , isPublic: False),
Stream( id: 94eb3517e8, name: Dave’s First Project, description: Welcome to Speckle! This is your sample project, designed by Beijia Gu - feel free to do whatever you want with it!, isPublic: True)]

publish_dump.txt (5.7 KB)

2 Likes

Super useful, thank you!

1. ArcGIS 3.1 was not tested (only 3.3) but we are looking to officially support lower versions, up to 3.1 too.
  2. The Selection refers to the layers selected in the Table of Content (layer name in the list), the selection on the Map canvas is ignored for now
  3. Will check with the team what this could be

And in the stacktrace you provided I found this:

Is your project saved into some cloud location? Do you have permission to create a folder/database right next to the .arpx file of your project?

1 Like