Introducing GeoSpeckle: Seamless AEC and GIS Integration

We’re excited to unveil GeoSpeckle, our latest development aimed at bridging the gap between the AEC and GIS worlds. With GeoSpeckle, Speckle now enables users to bring together detailed design models and real-world geographical data, offering a truly integrated solution for those looking to push the boundaries of digital delivery in construction and beyond.

What can you do with GeoSpeckle?

• Enhanced Data Visualisation: Overlay your architectural models onto real-world maps for better context and decision-making.
• Smooth Interoperability: Consume Speckle data in GIS applications like QGIS or Google Earth, without the friction of file-based workflows.
• Granular Control: You decide how much or how little of your model to include, ensuring only the relevant information is used for analysis.

If you want to dive deeper into how GeoSpeckle works and the potential it brings to your workflows, check out our detailed blog post here.

We’d love to hear your thoughts and see how you’re using Speckle to combine AEC and GIS data!

12 Likes

Very cool - great step in the right direction I think!

4 Likes

Hi @GIS_Users !
Thanks for joining the community forum, it is great to see you here! The activity on the GeoSpeckle server since the launch reached the levels we could not predict :star_struck: We hear your feedback and your awesome use cases and continue to improve the experience for you! Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, issues and suggestions with us, for example in this thread :writing_hand:

Quick links:
A shortcut to the server: https://geo.speckle.systems/
Detailed description of the project: Introducing GeoSpeckle
GitHub & usage instructions: GitHub - specklesystems/pygeoapi at dev

8 Likes

Buenisimo avance para la interoperabilidad y gestión eficiente de la información.

1 Like

Having a bit of a play this week with mixed results - presumably there are many edge cases to track down for how to search the tree for features so that will come with time. One thing I did want to raise was the following:

https://geo.speckle.systems/?speckleUrl=https://latest.speckle.systems/projects/549a79bbfd/models/fb123d843c&lat=-0.031405&lon=109.335828&datatype=projectcomments

I’ve added a long and lat to this commit and asked it for project comments - I’d expect all the project comments to appear, in relation to the project 0,0, but instead I’m just getting one comment, on the long lat.

I demoed this to our geospatial leadership yesterday - tough crowd to impress generally but there were some positive vibes that this direction was working for them!

2 Likes

Hi @chris.welch , great to hear! The missing project comments appeared due to a wrong extraction of the comment location - they all were tied to the camera rather than the object (which was valid for cases when you added the comment while pointing immediately at your object). And as the camera was positioned the same for all 3 comments, the pins appeared in the same location. This is now resolved and working properly :raised_hands:

I would be also very grateful if you can pinpoint the edge cases here or in DM, this will help a lot!

1 Like

Cool direction! There has been discussion going on around this for a long time.

Non substantive comment: the UK is missing from the loading cube :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Oh no! Usually its New Zealand that is missing, so I focused on making sure it’s there :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hahaha thank you for your efforts! The south island is there but the north island has sunk into the ocean :frowning:

Probably for the best though

4 Likes

Hi Kateryna! The api looks great. Is there a way to pass an authorization token to get access to some of my private Speckle projects?

1 Like

Hi @vwb ! Good to hear the feedback! Currently accessing private streams is not possible, as it will drag a lot of security considerations. Basically, it needs a lot of work before it can be implemented securely. But I’m not excluding the possibility in the future :blush:

1 Like