Include creating webhooks in SDKs

Hi all,

I’m currently developing a standalone microservice for our environment that receives filedata, converts it to a Speckle object, stores it in a stream in our own Speckle environment, and returns the streamId and commitId. So far, I’ve added support for several filetypes, and it works quite well.

However, for IFC files, I’m required to use webhooks to receive the commitId after the parsing job has been completed. I managed to implement all successfully, and it works perfectly for now.

It is my understanding that the only way to (programmatically) create webhooks in a stream is using GraphQL, which I did in my microservice. I would like to prevent having to use GraphQL in my microservice, though. Upon closer inspection of both the Python SDK and C# SDK, I discovered that their stream creating functionality is basically a GraphQL query.

Could it be a nice feature to include the creation of webhooks in both SDKs? I’d love to contribute to Speckle anyway? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are right, @kevinpease; we have abstracted nearly all server/database interactions to GraphQL from the web, c# and Python. This makes for the most consistent and maintainable interaction layer.

Your suggestion is sound; if you are happy to contribute, that is massively welcomed.

Start with raising an issue on either of the SDK repos ( Sharp - speckle-sharp or SpecklePy - specklepy) and the conversation can happen here or there.

Will do! Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

2 Likes