Importing layers into Rhino from Grasshopper

Hi, I export geometry from Grasshopper and name export categories according to the layers I wish to establish in Rhino. It does this but everything is on layer ‘default’. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I ideally would like to transfer layer colours as well.
I have screen-shots but cant seem to upload them.

You should be able to cut & paste images into the message directly

To summarise what I think I understand your question to be

1. Sets of Geometry objects defined in GH
  2. You would like to structure the version commits sent to Speckle so that these elements are allocated to specific layers when received in Rhino
  3. You would also like to define Layer colours.

Do you expect these to update if the Rhino layers already exist?

Yes, I am able to name elements of a stream when I send but ideally the geometry in these should end up on the layer that speckle creates. If the layer already exists in Rhino they could merge.
Does this make sense? I have rewritten my app to use Speckle exclusively but everything ending up on layer default’’ is problematic. Thaks for replying and sorry for the delay in getting back to you

1 Like

@PhilSouthwell, just a quick update: @clrkng is on to it already! It’s a backwards compatibility issue we introduced :grimacing:

We’ll get those yachts baked on the proper layers soon!

Awesome… Thanks Dimitie. Did you get the stuff I emailed you? Speckle is a dominant part of the enterprise version and so much easier to implement than the BIM / Baking of EleFront…

Here’s the new Grasshopper model layout (all the blue is Speckle): Dropbox - SCreen capture.png - Simplify your life

1 Like

I did receive your email and the docs you sent me, meaning to get back to you! Once we iron out these quirks, we would love to put out a case study on this if you agree as well.

1 Like

If this is a general Layer topic. A further option (which I think many Rhino users would find useful) is to use a key-value pair (key-layer) to add more granular control.
I think a ‘block’ - created using the Generic Data field in the Send component - could be assigned to the resulting layer in Rhino (named after the Generic Data element). Software that use blocks predominantly which benefit and items assigned the Key-value Layer or sub-layer would be very flexible. Obviously, we could program that assignment.

Hi Dimitrie,
any news on this? I am building a large composite structure app. and am now using Speckle internally for all Attributes and the objects and extended objects (which work much more intuitively than Elefront) instead of Json to internalise data. I am still adding layers as Key/Value pairs but I would like to know if this is not the way you will implement layers? Otherwise it just gets better and better - i’m telling everybody they should be using it…

1 Like

Afaik @clrkng and @Jedd were on it - i’ve pinged them here so hopefully an update will be forthcoming.

Awesome, thanks to all

Hi @PhilSouthwell :slight_smile:

The original layer issue you were experiencing (receiving everything on the default layer) should’ve been fixed by @Jedd in the latest stable release - let us know if that’s not the case!

Regarding a general better layer strategy for gh > rhino, if you have preferences for what that would look like for you ideally (whether its the key/value workflow with a custom collections component mentioned above) it would be worth looping in @AlanRynne to get his thoughts on a better implementation for Collection creating in GH.

Actually, taking another look at this now and unfortunately the hotfix we pushed didn’t actually address your issue - working on a new hotfix now, we’ll update you when it’s done!

Okay, this is now fixed with https://github.com/specklesystems/speckle-sharp/pull/2709 !

It will be available with our upcoming 2.15 release, specifically starting with the 2.15.0-alpha3 pre-release if you’d like to give it a spin before the stable version :slight_smile: