How can I extract the quantities from the model in PowerBI?

Dear community

I am enthusiastic about Speckle and the possibility of using my model data in PowerBI.

In the meantime, I have been able to integrate both the extension and the viewer into PowerBI. I can also load models.

The Psets (e.g. Pset_WallCommon) can also be integrated without any problems. Accordingly, I can generate specific queries at property level.

My problem is that I do not get any quantities displayed. I have already tried it with different models from different systems in versions IFC2x3 and IFC4. The values are displayed in well-known viewers such as Solibri, BIMVision and BIMCollab.

As already mentioned, the Psets and the values they contain are displayed. Unfortunately, the quantities and their values are not. The values are also not displayed in the speckle viewer (web). e.g. Qto_WallBaseQuantities can be seen in the viewer, but without values.

Can someone please help me? :pray:

Does the property set you highlighted expand the web viewer? If it does then these will be accessible from PowerBI

Have you followed the tutorial Extracting Parameters from Revit Data in Power BI

It describes revit but works for IFC also.

It’s really strange. I have checked all the models again. Even in the older web version (Stream), the BaseQuantities are not displayed. You can see in the picture that the set is expanded.
I have tested the extraction as described. I can extract everything except the geometric values “null” is displayed everywhere.

Hey @Emanuel ,

Does your IFC file have that property set? If yes, can you please share Speckle Model URL and the source IFC file so we can try to reproduce on our end.

1 Like

Dear @gokermu

Thank you very much for your support. It would be great if you could help me. Please find attached the links and the files:

Project 1:
https://app.speckle.systems/projects/06fd761c00/models/6f9cc661a2
This is an ArchiCAD model incl. Quantities

Project 2:
https://app.speckle.systems/projects/c1b53b9d2a/models/979879008e
This is a Vectorworks model incl. Quantities (not on all objects)

It would be great if you could find out what the problem is. I work for the city of Zurich and we are looking for a suitable viewer for PowerBI. I am convinced that your solution would be the right one.

Attached are the two IFC files and two image sections (Qto) from Solibri:

Project 1.zip (5.5 MB)
Project 2.zip (4.1 MB)

Kind regards

Emanuel

Hey @Emanuel ,

Thanks for sharing the files. I can confirm some properties are missing when uploaded into Speckle and they are visible in other web based IFC viewers. So it’s something we need to improve.

In the meantime, you can use our Archicad connector to get your models from AC to Power BI.

In lieu of IFC property parsing enhancements, sending IFCs from Navisworks to Speckle pitches a full set of properties

https://latest.speckle.systems/projects/5d96c5504f

1 Like

Great finding @jonathon :partying_face:! @Emanuel until we improve IFC file upload service, you can use the Navisworks connector to send your IFC models.

Hello @gokermu and @jonathon

Thank you very much for your support. I am pleased to see that it works in principle.

Unfortunately, as a city (owner), we are only served with IFC files for all projects. Unfortunately, we do not have access to the native data. It would be great if you could improve the IFC upload.

We are very impressed with your solution and would like to get in touch with you regarding a SAAS solution. If the upload via IFC files would work, that would be great.

PowerBI is an important part of our system landscape and we would very much like to equip various dashboards with your solution.

It would be great if you could keep me informed about the “quantities” from the IFC.

Kind regards

Emanuel

Hi @jonathon

Would it be possible for me to have project 1 (including quantities) in my dashboard so that I can access it and run more tests in PowerBI in the meantime?

This would be great as I would like to show the functionality of Speckle to a larger group of interested parties in the near future.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Emanuel

Hi @jonathon

You are great. Thank you for sharing the file :slight_smile:

Kind regards

Emanuel

If you accept the invite, I can make you the project owner - its all your data after all.

FYI: It shows the data has come from Python and not Navisworks because I cloned the project from one server to another.