GH Cluster Issue - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hey team,

I’ve been coming across an issue a bit to do with expanding Speckle objects inside of clusters. It doesn’t often/always happen so it’s a bit hard to recreate the issue but it happens enough to be annoying! It can usually be fixed by recomputing the cluster.

2021-12-02_14h45_00

The issue can be seen above. It occurs when trying to expand the object. You can see that it has tried to make a object.geometry.vector and from there down it errors? This is very unusual as when it is functioning correctly they are just regular vectors.

Any advice as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi @wilham_MM!

I’ll have a look this afternoon, I must confess I’m not a fan of clusters at all, so I’m also not very familiar with the peculiarities of how they execute code.

I’ll see if I can manage to reproduce it, as you’re already indicating it’s a sneaky one… :bug:

Thanks for reporting this! We’ll get back to you once we’ve figured this out… or if we need some more info from you :wink:

Thanks for looking in to this @AlanRynne !!

Here’s another example of the bug…

I found a node that was getting a similar error (Getting part of the way through converting the list to Speckle Objects and then erroring), copied it and now the copied one is working, even with the exact same inputs. I also try enable/disable plugging/unplugging the broken one but it stays red. This is so confusing…

And a follow-up to this… I’ve realised you can fix the broken node by setting it to “Do not convert” and then return to the default Objects converter. So perhaps the issue is happening here?

1 Like

Wow @wilham_MM this is super helpful! That second error message also indicated where things could be breaking so I’ll see if I can get some clarity on this ASAP :slight_smile:

Hi @AlanRynne, were you able to make any progress on resolving this issue?

I’ve come back to the work I was initially doing and our script is stilling getting these errors seemingly randomly throughout.

Only difference is the warning bubble now knows something is “Terrible wrong” haha!

2022-05-17_11h38_08

1 Like

Hi wilham!

Sorry, this must have fallen through the cracks of my Todo list!

I’ve managed to reproduce this error and already have a fix on the way. I’m doing the final tests now and it seems to do the trick! Should make it for the next release :wink:

2 Likes

Great to hear, thanks @AlanRynne !!

1 Like

Is this fixed? I am getting this same error and I have no idea what to do to fix it. I am not using clusters

Do you have any NULLs in the inputs?

No. I even just tried a single curve to make sure.

I reinstalled GH and Rhino components to no success so far while trying to debug but I don’t really know where to start

Okay, so I’m not completely useless. I have a mac and a PC at home. It works on PC but it does not work on mac. Same file no changes.

For reference, I got to the end of my example project from A-Z on PC but can’t get that component to work on my M1 Mac running the latest versions of everything. I will do some digging where I can.

parametric pavillion thingus to SAP2000

That’s very helpful context debugging. If you can share you definition or minimal reproducible, we can take a look what might be going (or not) on.