[Errno -2] Name or service not known speckle

Hi Team Speckle, currently I am trying to create droplets using Digital Ocean. Why do I get error: “[Errno -2] Name or service not known speckle” when I insert the domain name I create? And if I choose not to use the domain, it will give this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/speckle-server/setup.py”, line 225, in
main()
File “/opt/speckle-server/setup.py”, line 174, in main
subprocess.run(
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py”, line 512, in run
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘bash’, ‘-c’, ‘cd “/opt/speckle-server”; docker compose up -d’]’ returned non-zero exit status 125.

Any ideas/help much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi @Adrian_Kanggara - we would recommend deploying using the Docker Compose instructions instead.

Our DigitalOcean 1-click method of deployment has unfortunately not kept up to date with recent developments, resulting in these reported issues, and we have no immediate plans to address it. We’ve today updated our documentation to reflect this.

Iain

3 Likes

Another community member has documented their steps for deploying on DigitalOcean. You can find their notes at the following thread: Possible Issue with Digital Ocean 1-Click? - #9 by jjsolly

Iain

1 Like

I can report it all seems to be running happily. Once I had it all working at a numeric IP address I then:

• Changed our website DNS settings so a custom domain pointed to that IP. Waited til this propagated through.
  • Updated the docker-compose.yml with this address info and included all the additional recommendations for certification from Deploying a Server - Docker Compose | Speckle Docs
  • “docker compose down” then “docker compose build” (to be certain) then “docker compose up -d” and Voilà it all seems to be operating.

Thanks to team speckle for the help!

1 Like

Thanks for your notes @jjsolly

One comment; you shouldn’t need to build the images so should be able to ignore the docker compose build step. The docker-compose file described in the documentation references Speckle’s prebuilt images and doesn’t include build instructions.

I assume the docker compose build step ran very quickly?

You would only need to build images if you have forked and changed the source code, and used the docker-compose file found in our source code; as described in this optional section: Deploying a Server - Docker Compose | Speckle Docs

Iain

1 Like

yes it ran really quickly which would explain that. Apologies for my ignorance (i was following some online instructions I didn’t fully understand)

1 Like

We all appreciate the benefits of @iainsproat having AI in his name! Beats all the rest.

1 Like