Dlubal RFEM Connector

Hi @Community,

I’m excited to announce that I started to work on RFEM Connector :rocket:. I would like to share my thoughts and plans about the development, and I have some questions to the Speckle team also.

Architecture and Development
I started to work with Python SDK since RFEM has a Python API also. The Blender Connector is a great guide for me to create the architecture, but there are some basic distinctions between two programs.

I already managed to send and receive geometry data, but I have to say it’s still in a pre-development stage. :dark_sunglasses:

The question is, should we create a new repository for this connector? Sure I can contunie to develop on my own repo, but I’m hoping to reach another community members so we can manage it together :slight_smile: @izzylys

Desktop UI for Python SDK
My biggest concern is there is no template we can use for Desktop UI in Python SDK. There are 3 solutions I thought about it:

• Create a Desktop UI template for Python SDK with community development (PyQT5 is one of the solutions, or Electron can be used with Python hooks for a cross-platform solution)

• Find a way to use Avalonia solution for Desktop UI, but connect it with Python methods (not even sure if it’s possible or not)

• Develop the whole library as a C# project (which is the worst case scenario for me)

Let me just share the link of the RFEM Python API repository so interested people can have a look.

https://github.com/Dlubal-Software/RFEM_Python_Client

Hear you soon!

7 Likes

Fantastic news @dogukan , I’m super happy to see this :partying_face:

I was actually just discussing the possibility of a RFEM Connector with @AlexHofbeck (which you might know).

Some answers to your questions:

Repo
In regards to the repository, we do not have a monorepo for python based projects yet (like speckle-sharp), and if you’re planning to keep maintaining the Connector, it might just be simpler if it’s in your organization/account?

UI
No easy answer here, as you have already imagined! Ultimately the decision is up to you :slight_smile:
My 2 cents are:

• if RFEM has a .NET API and it’s as mature as the Python one, it’d make sense to have the connector in C# to leverage the existing DesktopUI and to keep it consistent with most of the other connectors. Also, C# is fun! :stuck_out_tongue:
  • it is possible to launch DesktopUI as a separate process and have it communicate with the main app via IPC, but it’s a bit tricky and the integration is not as smooth (eh it’s a completely separate window)

I’ll let others chime in here, especially @izzylys !

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi guys,

thanks for mentioning us @teocomi. @dogukan: I really like the :rocket: attitude.

We are currently taking a bit of a peak on the newest RFEM version and toying around with the API (@HQue and others). When we are getting a bit more serious about it (mgmt discussion), we would be really happy to exchange about a collab in case you are interested @dogukan :slight_smile:

Best,
Alex

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

After some discussions with my colleagues, we decided to change our development strategy to the .NET SDK :upside_down_face:

We forked to original repo, and already started to work on it. I’ll drop the link below to be accesible for whole community, especially to @AlexHofbeck :smiley:

Wish us luck, and stay tuned :rocket:

7 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for the update! :+1:
Happy to jump and a technical scoping call if needed as well.

We are in the phase of discovery of your SDK - so far, so good. I’m sure we will contact you to discuss things. I’m looking forward to working with you guys.

5 Likes

are connections between bim and structural programs such as RFEM | FEM structural analysis software planned? such an interface would make the exchange much easier! Best Peter

1 Like

Hey Peter, great to see you here.

You’ll see some work in the community looking at the Dlubal software.

We have existing Connectors that support the CSI suite of structural tools (ETABS, SAP2000, SAFE, and CSiBridge). How does this match what you are asking concerning your RFEM analysis tools and architectural design tools?

It looks like @Hubfour is a Design to Fabrication shop (love the modular sauna!), so we’d love to hear more about your general information pipelines and how Speckle might help.

We are actively seeking users of our existing connectors to contribute feedback on their usefulness, feature set and suitability to various workflows.

What exchange types would you find most useful?
As part of a single workflow or part of a back-and-forth during design iteration?

Hey Jonathon,
Thanks for sharing this post, we will test it right away together with the guys from “werkraum wien”. That’s right, our focus is the design to production workflow, with a focus on parametric automation of construction processes. we are specialized in the field of cad-cam, for this we would urgently need an interface between grasshopper and hypermill (open-mind software). I just installed speckle a few days ago and need to get used to it first. are cam connections available?

Another community contribution is a :speckle:Connector for TopSolid

1 Like

Hey @dogukan @jarabroz - curious on how the development is going?
Let us know if you’d like to catchup at some point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We would be curious too :slight_smile: . Dlubal and Speckle are two things which would be super interesting to be combined

1 Like

Hi @teocomi @AlexHofbeck ,

We had other priorities to take care but now we have some time to focus on Speckle connector. I hope I will give you the good news soon, stay tuned :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi all,
We are expandng our use of Speckle and are interested in a connector for Dlubal RFEM. It’s been a while since anyone commented in here. Has there been any developments or has this connector been shelved.
@dogukan @AlexHofbeck @teocomi
If this isn’t being developed anymore I would be keen to here how other users are transferring models to RFEM and back.

2 Likes

Hi Dan,

I‘m happy to see you guys from Ebner here (and also to see another Dlubal user in this community).
We are still using the Parametric FEM Toolbox for Grasshopper from Diego for this (with RFEM 5). I have not heard about it being in development … and we are still eagerly waiting for it like a little child waiting for Christmas presents :wink:

Best,
Alex

2 Likes