Data formatting in Excel

Hello,

Currently, when I receive data in Excel with a nested object the data comes in one long row (top). Would it be possible to have an option to have the data come in a table format (below)?

1 Like

There is no way of doing so right now, and the current table was based on the idea that you’ll receive more items(row) than properties (columns)

I guess for you this is not the case and we could think of ways of implementing it on our side, but meanwhile, you can just Transpose the table and you should be good to go :wink:

1 Like

My current workflow is to receive each object and then do some post-processing, including transposing the table. At present, I do only have a few objects with lots of properties but in the future, I will have lots of objects with lots of properties! It would be great if implementation could happen in the future!

Hey @lasaths where is your data coming from?

If you are receiving a list of objects it should actually be received in a similar (but transposed, as Alan says) format to what you need with properties in the columns and one row per object in the list, see: Excel | Speckle Docs

Make sure to click on the list item for this to work, the one with the [] icon:

1 Like

Hey @AlanRynne ,

To respond to this:

I think I can speak for the infrastructure industry that there are always more properties than items.

@lasaths
I think it would more beneficial to have the child objects in 1 row with an added column as property: parent ID

so your format would be

What are your views on this?

If you really want to impress your friends at parties, you could get good results with a Pivot Table.

Pivot Tables will allow for the post import filtering of both in a controlled manner. And they can be stacked. Pivot Tables of pivot tables is the ultimate flex!

I’m not convinced this is a universal truth. The challenge is typically the sparseness of the property table when transforming multiple types of elements simultaneously which tends to drive many empty cells.

The ETL strategy with BIM data will vary, of course, by individual situations. Most likely insights will be drawn after a multi-step transformation. As such there is merit in Speckle delivering a dumb big table for all.

Applying formatting, in my opinion, would be a cardinal sin.

2 Likes

@jonathon

Sorry I see I did not write my reaction clearly here, of course you are right, I meant the same thing.

fully agree

2 Likes

Thanks! I will look into Pivot Tables!