Cloud models to Revit

I’m still trying to get my head wrapped around all the functionality of Speckle. Are there any tools for working with cloud files?

We do a good bit of laser scanning and I’m trying to find an easier process for converting cloud models to Revit information.

1 Like

The Speckle connectors convert native data at an object level and publish to the Speckle server; these objects can be subscribed to by a user operating Revit.

The data doesn’t need to have originated in Revit or be from the same author.

Important in this description are the non-use files. If you could be more specific about which “cloud files” you are interested in, this will help answer more in-depth.

Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. The cloud models we work with are point cloud models from either a laser scanner or drone. Millions of points of information. There are some software tools that will help turn the files into Revit elements but most of it is done by manually tracing over top of the points. I didn’t know if there was anyone in the community that has dealt with these types of files.

Are these a typical point cloud file format @Tbharkins ?

We allow some direct file uploads to Speckle right now, but only those not encumbered by proprietary licencing (STL/OBJ/IFC)

Pinging @rklaschka ?

1 Like

They are either an RCP or RCS file type

I’m sorry, been head down with other things and then the summer hols! I would look at .e57 .las and .ply they are all open formats. e57 is a bit cleverer in that it can also included mutliple individual scans or unified groups of scans, and scan panoramas.

The challenge will be that the files will be big, often viewers for models don’t work well with pointclouds, and viewers for models don’t work well with models.

One thing to try is that I to upload Revit models with pointclouds (rcp or rcs) attached and visible in the view. These do appear in Speckle.

Our ArcGIS connector will support Point Clouds (mainly .las file format). Our Rhino connector already support point clouds and it seems Rhino can import .ply files. You can use those connector to publish to Speckle.

1 Like