Clash detection!

I’m aware that @jonathon is keen on introducing clash detection capabilities to Speckle. The limitations of Navisworks, particularly its inability to directly mark up and track comments on clashes, have become increasingly frustrating. Despite being a tool that many people rely on daily, Navisworks has seen little innovation over the past two decades. The adoption of Speckle, with its ongoing improvements, could revolutionize industry standards worldwide, setting a new benchmark for project management tools.
:wink:

1 Like

As I have been onboarding Automatons, I offer a health-check warning on the demo script I wrote for clash detection. This is more about my (lack of) coding proficiency than any limitation of Automate the platform.

The Web APIs are now so powerful that there may well be a fusion of automated pre-flighting and front-end wizardry that could put your suggestion in a prime position.

What I think there is a definite role for is an accessible tool that an individual contributor to a project can self-check pre-coordination rather than relying on a grand event session that needs to cover everything. In that regard, I think we can already define something fit for purpose today.

2 Likes

I look forward to seeing where this will go in the future with Speckle. It’s well outside of my nonexistent coding skills sorry I can’t be of more help.

Can speckle not use the data from the xml report? I have not gotten far in using speckle that much but the xml reports have all the data including the element Id’s. I use an excel to Access Data Base for my customized reports now and VCAD has a way to link this into Power Bi and I have been dabbling with Power Bi a little as well.

I think I posted a cozy tutorial here on the forum last week week before where I’m doing exactly that.

@jonathon if this is still on the roadmap (or on your mind) please feel free to contact me should you wish for further ideas or input. I have been working as a BIM coordinator on several large-scale projects in the past and I’m convinced that clash detection (as it exists now in several different “model coordination” products) is fundamentally inadequate and could be radically improved upon.

1 Like

Sure have been 2 years since its introduction, could anyone have thought on this features, is it possible technically or not enough resources/demands

There has not been a level of interest that would make a significant investment of time worthwhile.