Cannot get Revit Family Name/Type on certain elements

I am trying to get the family name/type of all the elements coming from a Revit stream, however it seems that there is a mismatch from what the export/web app shows and does, against what the powerbi connector brings in.

I for example just want these two names to correspond to the visual element that is shown in PowerBI, such as these:

When in PowerBI, for some reason certain elements have the proper names attached to the element:
while other elements do not:

In Revit I check the elementID of the ones missing the names, and it is the selectable objects that a user can freely select. Similarly, the family name property exists on this elementID on the webapp under the definition data entry:

while in PowerBI, this entry does not exist, in fact none of the entries under definition exist except for a reference to another object it seems that the visual cant seem to display when I try to use a query with it instead:

From what I am now understanding, does the PowerBI connector break elements apart into two elements, one containing some amount of parameters, while the other contains another set? Is there a way to predict this, or is there a pattern/consistency to this breakdown, seeing as something like a pipe or certain other category elements do not have such a breakdown and have their family names and types directly on them?

1 Like

Hey @EugeneStol ,

That’s happening because of Revit instances (see blog here). Handling them nicely is high on the agenda. Until we improve it, you can try @jonathon’s solution👇.

I did something similar with custom columns eventually and noticed that referenceid property in the definition property which did help me fill out the family types properly. The main task however I realized doing this, is that some element that already have a family/type also have a referenceid, which is what I was using as my indicator for unique/original elements which I need to get a total of (for example the selection in Revit is 23 items, so I expect 23 items in the end). I wasn’t getting that total no matter how I kept trying to organize the data.

Is there a parameter or indicator that classifies an object as one of the main sources (such as what you would see in the speckle web page, which also has 23 objects for example).