Browser Based 3D Viewer - Speckle Viewer vs. Rhino Viewer

Hey all, we are interested in using Speckle for an upcoming project. We are using Blazor web app (.NET) for the web front-end. We were wondering which approach is best (and why) when it comes to model viewers. We know that Rhino has a viewer we can use in a browser page, but we also see that Speckle has a viewer itself.

What are the considerations, differences, pros/cons of using one or the other in our web application? Just looking for general feedback in this area. Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!

The question of using a Speckle viewer instead of any other option is very closely tied to whether the application will be consuming/querying Speckle data.

Our viewer is completely open-source (is rview?) and also published as an NPM package (I’m not sure how Blazor interacts with JS packages), but it is expected to be driven by Speckle data.

Some recent viewer API changes have opened the door to passing additional geometries to the viewer for display, but your work is to have a pipeline to push threejs data at it.

1 Like

It depends on which Browser based Rhino Viewer you are talking about, but I can attest that none of them have anywhere near the level of development of the Speckle Viewer.

3 Likes

Thank you both for your responses, this has been very helpful in making our decision. I think we are in a position where we may use both viewers based on our needs. Using a Rhino viewer for real-time parametric feedback for simple adjustments, and then the Speckle viewer for post-model generation and review. But, our testing this week and next should be able to validate this assumption or not.

1 Like

Which is the Rhino viewer that you will be testing? I simply curious.

I haven’t gotten there yet hah. Once we know, I will be sure to update you!