BIM data in UE 5 connector

Hi everyone,

I’ve been experimenting with the Speckle connector for Unreal Engine 5.2 and encountered an issue. Specifically, I’m unsure if this connector applies any data or parameters to a model exported from Revit.

I’m not certain whether I’m doing something wrong or if the issue stems from the connector being in an early stage of development. Has anyone else faced a similar issue? Also, if this is a limitation of the connector, does anyone know when this feature might be included?

Thank you for your help!

Hey @Nikita_Sneg welcome to Speckle Community.

I’m a little unclear what you actual concern/question. We have been working extremely hard to make sure that as much of the data within a Revit model is in turn available in the Speckle representation of it.

So I’d ask the question back: What do you mean by “applies”, what data, what parameters.

Is there data you are expecting to see but are not, or are you querying if additional properties are within a Speckle Object.

If we can get to the bottom of this we can be talking about the same “feature”.

1 Like

Hi, I apologize for the confusion earlier. Let me clarify my query by comparing it with the Speckle connector for Unity. In the first image, you can see the Unity solution. I’ve highlighted the selected object, which includes some basic data imported from Revit. This data is visible in the Inspector:

In the second image, you see the same object, but this time in Unreal Engine (UE) 5.2. However, I’m unable to locate any parameters or other data associated with the object. Additionally, there are no files or references to the data/parameters in the Speckle folder:

This is the issue I’m facing and would like to inquire about. I’m sorry for any misunderstanding caused earlier.

Understood. I’ll check with team.

HI, I am wondering did you able to find out the reason about the parameters?

Hi @Nikita_Sneg, Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately, we don’t provide any mechanisms to serialize and retrieve speckle properties on objects in the same way we do in the unity connector. This is a non-trivial feature to support, not least because C++ lacks runtime typing information.

However, it is possible to access some custom properties on objects by creating a custom converter.

See our tutorial: Unreal - Developing Custom Object Conversions and our proof of concept GH → Unreal poc: Grasshopper to Unreal - asset swap / mapping meshes from Grasshopper proof of concept

These showcase how its possible to retrieve some custom props during conversion.

With this method, you should be able to retrieve simple string/integer/float/bool properties by name from Meshes, or display value objects (like walls) from BP.
However, if you’re wanting properties of more complex nested structures then be prepared to need to write some C++ to parse the json manually.

If you go this route, I can provide some assistance to get you started.

By injecting your behaviour into a custom converter, you’ll be able to access the properties only during conversion. We don’t have way to store them on the object for good (unless you want to implement that yourself!)

1 Like

Thank you so much! I will discuss with my team what will be appropriate to our project and let you know. I am sure in a future we will need your help. Thanks for support.

1 Like