Assigning material to non-system family sub-elements from REVIT in Blender via Speckle

This may be a close duplicate of my post in Features and Ideas.

Blender allows Edit Mode for system families. These include railings, columns, curtain-walls, etc. They have a clear hierarchy in REVIT.

Imported families, or those modeled in place using solids, don’t have such organization and Speckles sends them to Blender as a unit. One can’t select various parts independently.

Is this too complicated because each family is uniquely organized?

A workaround I devised is to create a system family “on the side”, using the same materials I have in imported families for as many components as needed. Then one can reassign other Blender material for each REVIT one by editing the “on the side” family’s various elements. This updates these materials shared/used by non-system families’ components.

Not too tedious but requires a few extra steps but worth the effort for now.

Note that fenestration (doors and windows) are also treated as non-system families.

Hey @Nader1328 ,

This must have slipped through the cracks. Sorry for not replying earlier. When you receive a version, Blender connector shows you an option for handling instances. Doors, Windows and Component families from revit are created as Collection Instances. That might be why that’s the case. What happens if you switch from Collection Isntances to other option?

If you’re receiving Revit family instances in Blender, and they are seemly non-editable. This is because, by default, we receive all family instances in blender as “Instanced Collections”.

There’s two options I can point you towards:

1. You can edit instanced collections, see my post here: Editing Streamed Rhino Blocks in Blender - #2 by Jedd, does require a few extra clicks vs editing normal blender objects.
  2. Or you can tell the Speckle connector to receive instances as Linked Duplicates instead.
    Family instances will then simply receive as normal (potentially multiple) blender objects. You’ll loose the grouping instance structure that you get with proper Collection Instances. But if you prefer easy editing, then this option likely is preferable.

This sounds closer to your expectation.

We think we understood your questions, were the answers any use to you @Nader1328 ?