3D pdf from speckle stream?

Hello all,

Maybe a bit of a dinosaur feature but still relevant on some, if not most, of our projects we are currently running
In order to support adoption of the platform through organisations, it will serve a great deal to support creation of 3d pdf from a speckle stream or collection of a speckle stream.

It would be best to integrate this along with a free stream collection federator which allows you to set up coordination workflows. This can serve as a baseline delivery of 3d models where people can see the different properties off-line and also access some of the model information dynamically. Of course it is best served to export active ‘scope boxes’ to prevent blowing up file sizes.

1 Like

Hi Dick! Good seeing you earlier :slight_smile:
I’m intrigued by this suggestion, how are 3D pdf used in your office?
Wouldn’t a link to a Speckle stream be a better and more powerful substitute?

Hi @teocomi

For dynamic insight in models (when the viewer is more user-friendly) I totally agree.
However within the entire infrastructure we continuously struggle with the requirement to deliver plans and baselines. A lot of people who decide directions of the project are still document minded… Since everyone is ‘able’ to use a .pdf file, this would be a great step into easing people in digital transitions. Also with communication to third-parties and people who are document minded, this would make our lives much easier. Nowadays (sub)-contractors still get sent .pdf’s as we are sure they can open these formats, and also as it describes scope. As you may know though… Creating plans takes a painful amount of time, and feels like a waste of the entire BIM model.

Anyway, right now, I struggle a lot in creating plans of my model with an interactive 3D view as Autodesk simply does not support it in (most of) their software.

So I am playing with the idea to be able to create plans directly from Speckle streams. This was triggered to this idea by a chrome app that can create 2d views from cut-planes in Speckle on scale.

Going a bit further on this idea:
It would be a great opportunity to have ‘saved viewpoints’ added to the stream, where we can actually check measurements and annotate views with automated tags (e.g. Arc-GIS does this as well: Create labels (Map Viewer Classic)—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation) from which you can also create the required information for people to use in verification and validation phase of the design.

1 Like

Thanks, totally makes sense, especially this part:

This will be part of an issue management feature we’re planning to start working on in the next months!

3 Likes

Very cool!
In trend of interoperability to other softwares, it may be beneficial to be BCF Compatible: BIM Collaboration Format (BCF) - buildingSMART Technical

2 Likes

Thanks, I had the “luck” to work with it in the past :wink:

2 Likes

The OG BCF rockstar :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

Haha, I actually even designed its logo :rofl:

Haha sorry I wasn’t aware I was in the presence of a legend :sweat_smile:

5 Likes