3D Models Visuals in Power BI

Hello,

I’m trying to visualise interractive 3D revit models in Power BI. I was thinking about Embeding speckle Viewer inside Power BI report (to achieve something similar o the image below). Is it possible? Or, does someone have an Idea about How or where to start from?

Thank you so much!t

1 Like

Hi @yousra_kadcha!

I’m not a user of PowerBI, but I can think of 2 different routes to go about this:

Easy: You can use the “embed viewer” functionality we just added to the speckle server, this includes some functionality like section box/ viewing selection metadata, etc… I’m guessing powerBI allows you to use iframe content such as google maps, etc… but I’m not sure if this is true. If it doesn’t, you’d have to go for the less easy option.

Check the embed viewer instructions here → Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

Less Easy: Our viewer is published as an npm package that you can use freely, although this will not come with any of the “pre-made” toolbar with selection, section-box, etc… and you’d have to code that yourself. This will allow to integrate better, but I’m not sure what are powerBI’s limitations around this.

The docs on the viewer are still WIP, but you can find the package here. Also, if you’re looking an example app where it’s used, you can find a Vue.js component that uses the viewer here.

Hope any of these options work!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I’ll try them and keep you updated.

1 Like

Great! Let us know how it goes, as we’d be super interested in having your feedback on how speckle and powerBI play together :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @yousra_kadcha ,

Quick note to say that I have tried following using this tutorial, it works but then I get some auth errors because of the embedding. It should be something relatively easy to fix on our end…

We’ll keep you posted!

2 Likes

Hey again,
so I have tested the easy option (embeding speckle viewer in power Bi report using HTML viz) but the stream does not appear. the page keeps loading (see the screenshot below)

I have tested the Speckle iframe in an html page and it worked perfectly

I think that the problem is with the power BI custom viz (but I cannot figure it out). If anyone did please let me know.

Hey @yousra_kadcha! Thanks for checking this out! Not sure what could be happening there, but it sounds like PowerBI is being picky with our embed feature.

Could you try and open the Chrome Developer Tools and send us a screenshot of any errors that may appear in the Javascript Console? It would help us a lot with pin-pointing the issue and if there’s anything we can do on our side we’ll be happy to include it in our upcoming tasks.

1 Like

Hey @AlanRynne Thanks for your quick reply. Here’s what I get as an error

I do think that “Uncaught DOMException: Failed to read the ‘localStorage’ property from ‘Window’: The document is sandboxed and lacks the ‘allow-same-origin’ flag.” is responsible of this.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks a lot, I’m not the expert on this things so I’ve opened an issue for it in our server repo.

Feel free to keep an eye on it if you want, but we’d let you know on this thread when we’ve fixed it too!

2 Likes

Hi @yousra_kadcha! Just jumping back in this thread to let you know we’ve fixed the issue that was causing the embed viewer to not load in restricted places (such as PowerBI).

This will be included in the release we’ll be doing this week, so stay tuned :slight_smile:

As for more “interactive” PowerBI visuals, we’ve already started looking into it and we’ll be releasing the first WIP this week too!

2 Likes

I’ve just seen the announcement in LinkedIn and came to recheck this post to see if it was already ready to use. Thank you so much for having fixed it!

3 Likes

Hey guys,

Any update on this topic ?
Would be awesome !

What would be awesome would be to be able to use the viewr on PowerBI Desktop directly ! Not on the web :slight_smile:

Hey @BaudouinNP! U
Unfortunately, we didn’t have the bandwidth to look at this yet, I’ll raise it internally and will keep you posted.

In the meantime, if you could describe how would you see that functionality working and give use some use cases it’s be great :boom:

1 Like

Hi @teocomi and all Specklers!
Great work with Speckle, I’m am also interested in presenting Revit data PowerBI. If you are interested in a use case. At the moment I’m looking into adding any geometrical reference to room data. It would be terrific to see same kind of interactivity I can achieve with Synoptic Panel.
How can I proceed with that?
Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks, this use case is indeed helpful, so you’d like to see a 2D floorplan and be able to “link” it with other PowerBI data. We’ll definitely keep it in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes that would be helpful !
To see any kind of geometry in 3D or 2D in PowerBi thanks to speckle

2 Likes

I totally agree. 2D is good (Synoptic Panel is an accessible workaround), but I’m absolutely looking forward to 3D experience offered by Speckle Viewer.

1 Like

Hey guys !
@teocomi
@AlanRynne

Do we have any Update on this Topic ? Integration of a 3d viewer in power bi.

Thaaaaanks !

2 Likes

Hi @BaudouinNP ! We know this is a very important feature for you but haven’t yet managed to include it in our short term planning, I’ll discuss it with the team at our next session and will let you know if we start working on it!

2 Likes

Hi @teocomi and all Specklers
I am in the development of a board in which data and 3d models can be visualized. Is there any update about this?
Cheers!

1 Like