Workflow Revit-Grasshopper-Revit

Hi! I’m not expecting a complete solution as an answer, but would be very happy for tips and pointers in the right direction =)

Goal for my workflow:

1. Have some objects in Revit with metadata, which could be anything really: facade panels, bricks, roof tiles, with metadata/attributes like name, dimensions, embedded CO₂…
  2. Send selected objects to Rhino/Grasshopper. Here it would be great to see that the objects are “checked out”, and now belong to Grasshopper/Rhino and not Revit.
  3. Move around objects with a Grasshopper script. For example in the case of facade panels, make a script that arranges them randomly across a surface.
  4. Send the objects back to Revit. Their positions/translations in Revit should now be the updated positions/translations made in Grasshopper. The objects should be “checked out” from Grasshopper/Rhino
  5. The objects in Revit should retain all metadata/attributes/geometry/GUID as before it was sent to Grasshopper

Would this need some intermediary steps like saving data in an excel file or similar, or using some other plugins for example? Or does it seem really straightforward?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hey @Spockle (nice username btw),

While this is possible, it’s important to keep in mind that when you send from Revit to Gh/Rhino there is some infomration loss: you get geometry with metadata instead of proper BIM elements. So it’s not possible to keep a seamless link between the two.

Therefore editing Revit elements from Gh and sending them back is a bit limited in functionality.

The way you can do so with Speckle currently, is by using the Parameter Updater node. What you’ll be sending to Revit, instead of “modified elements” is “instructions to modify certain parameters”.

Let me know how it goes!