What does the future of speckle look like with the eventual release of .net 5?

Will .net framework still be supported in its subsequent releases or will speckle start transitioning to supporting .net core only any time soon in anticipation of an easier transition to .net 5 later?

I ask because it took a fair bit of tinkering to satisfy all dependencies and quirks of speckle core to get it to work with all permutations of unity’s build options so depending on what you guys plan to support, I’ll need to respond accordingly.

Hey Jack,

One thing we know for sure, is that we’ll keep support for .net framework 4.6.1 and .net standard 2.0 for the foreseeable future (.net framework 4.6.1 can actually load .net standard 2.0). Together with that we are planning to release multiple versions of our .NET SDK, but I don’t have more detailed information at the moment.

We’ll make some roadmap related announcements soon, hopefully with more clarity around this!

What are the things we should look at, specifically? I’m not an expert in non-desktop dev, so I’m at a loss. Ie, the use of dynamic & ios dev? We can try and alleviate the cross-platform compatibility problems as much as possible/productive…

In my experience if the code works with .net core, doesn’t rely on JIT compilation like use of dynamics and can optionally not make references to a predetermined local file path then compilation to mobile through Unity is guaranteed. Those are the only 3 considerations needed to be made.

Unity’s .NET framework support is for version 4.x meaning they’ve cherry picked a few things to not be supported. It’s never been an issue for me so far though.

My question on future SDK support touches on those concerns but was mainly driven by the possibility that Unity may take a few years to upgrade their .NET SDK support to version 5 after its release meaning SpeckleUnity could get left behind and potentially stop working with later versions of speckle if there’s a breaking change in a Speckle version it can’t upgrade to.

1 Like