Using data from excel to colour code Revit model

Hi, I am new to speckle and trying to workout if the following exercise can be done using Speckle.

It is possible to take data from an excel file and use it to colour code a 3D model from Revit and push the colour coded model into Power BI?

I have a project where we are tracking the off site manufacturing process of a building element and would like to know if speckle can be used to update the 3D model by colour coding the building element based on the status/hold point as it goes through the process of fabrication to installation on site.

Thank you

I’m thinking of two main ways to achieve this, please not that I haven’t tried them and maybe @gokermu can help with a small proof of concept :slight_smile:

• Send from Revit to PowerBI and from Excel to PowerBI and associate the elements by their ID, you should then be able to color them in PowerBI by your field
  • Send from Excel to Revit to set a parameter on each element with a value you want to color by, then Send from Revit to speckle and load the model in PowerBI. This way, you can also color your model in the Speckle Viewer by the same property.
2 Likes

Hi @teocomi thank you so much for the response. If there is a proof of concept that has been done before that would be great.

How would the colouring of the model work in the speckle viewer? Are you able to provide any more detail?

Thank you

1 Like

Hey @Aaron_Atkinson :wave:,

I wanted to revive this topic. Previously our viewer did not relate excel data with the objects in the viewer. But we recently added support for this functionality along with many other improvements.

As suggested by @teocomi, we can establish a relationship between the two tables using the IDs (or any other parameter tbf). Let me illustrate that with a simple example:

Imagine that you have modeled 4 walls in Revit. Using our Revit connector, you can send these walls to Power BI and visualize them using our 3D Viewer Visual.

Additionally, I have created a simple Excel table. It consists of 3 columns: family, Custom Parameter and id.

• Custom parameter is the parameter I want to color objects by.
  • id is their speckle id.

If you examine the data received in Power BI, you will notice an Object ID column. This corresponds to the id column in Excel.

So, we can create a relationship between these two queries using the id columns. (Note: You can use any column to relate two queries. If you want to learn more about relationships, you can check out Power BI’s documentation.

Now that we have established a relationship between the two queries, we can now color objects by any parameter we want. In this case, I colored them by the Custom Parameter column. (Please check the table above, you’d see two walls had the same Custom Parameter value **A**. And in our 3D Viewer, two walls share the same color.)

I hope this helps with your case. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

4 Likes

@gokermu thanks for the update on the feature.

are you able to customize the colors used? or set rules for certain colors to be used based on the excel data?

1 Like

Hey @Aaron_Atkinson ,

We have recently enabled conditional formatting and it sounds like that’s what you are looking for. Please take a look and let us know if it helps.

PBIDesktop_qAIJLbVDoM

2 Likes