Using C# .NET parsers in UE5 instead of making new ones in C++

Hi Jedd,

in

" Custom Object Models

Object Models in the Unreal plugin function the same as the Object Models in .NET.

In the future, we may consider creating a proper deserializer that uses reflection, this would mean Object Models can be deserialized without developers having to write these Parse methods. There are several technical challenges for us to solve before this is possible.
"

We have been considering the C# parsers to be used within UE5 to avoid re-writting again parsers (I have written one but it is a headache). Do you think that we can use UnrealCLR for porting C# to C++.

I also cc my colleague @moihack who is experienced in UnrealCLR (let’s hope UE5 version will be out soon).

Best,
Dimitrios

This is certainly a worthwhile discussion to be had :grin:

A major reason for the slow progress of the Unreal Engine connector I’m having to reimplement a lot of C#/python code from our SDKs in Unreal C++ (and in a way that makes sense for unreal)

This also means that we are having to maintain multiple ports of our SDK (.NET, PY, UE…), this problem is only going to get worse with the more SDKs we introduce :frowning_face: .

I’ve never used UnrealCLR before, so I’m not super familiar with its limitations.

My main concern is UnrealCLR only works for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, right?
That would mean no Android, IOS, HoloLens, etc build support. That would limit Speckle’s reach quite significantly.

I’ve also seen similar projects (USharp, mono-ue) come and go, so longevity is also another concern.

That being said, I’m open minded to any ways to assist in the development of our UE connector.
So I’d love to hear from any of our UE connector users what their thoughts and opinions on this are.