Unity sender implementation

Hi there,

Unity manager and receivers work perfectly, but I can’t get sending working yet - the example scenes are missing from the implementation, so I’m not sure whether I’m missing something or it hasn’t been added yet to the reference implementation - the SpeckleUnitySender.cs doesn’t carry the required functionality and the reference docs don’t seem to cover sending.

Thanks
Natalia

2 Likes

Hey @nataliaw , welcome to the forum!
Speckle Unity is a community contribution, so I’m not able to help you directly. But let me ping the authors who might be able to: @pablothedolphin @cwm

1 Like

Also quick ping to @haitheredavid who’s now a Speckle Unity pro :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi @nataliaw! Ah, I was looking at this same issue while back. I believe the current integration of Speckle Unity is a one way data stream, so you can’t send meshes back into speckle from Unity. The SpeckleUnitySender.cs can send some data back into streams, I think it’s limited to ints and float.

1 Like

hey thanks for coming back to me - looked into a it a bit more - I think sender might have been implemented during the first iteration (which was more of a prototype) - pretty sure that currently there is no sending functionality in the current implementation, incl ints and floats - roadmap seems to confirm GitHub - speckleworks/SpeckleUnity: Stream live 3D data into Unity with the open data platform for BIM - Speckle!

2 Likes

I tried finding the conversation I had with one of the authors that explained the logic with the UnitySender class and why it’s a one way stream, but I believe the slack monster ate it up. What I remember is some sort of blocker happening with mobile support that causes the streams to not communicate properly.

SpeckleUnity is pretty new and was also built on Speckle 1.0. With Speckle 2.0 being cooked up I wouldn’t be surprised if the team waits to update SpeckleUnity

2 Likes

Correct! It’s probably best putting efforts in a Unity connector for 2.0 rather than adding the sending functionality in 1.0.
Our 2.0 .NET SDK (Core) is pretty much stable and we got plenty of examples (the other connectors) in case anyone reading this wanted to give it a try during the holidays :smiley:

That’s why we switched to this forum!

2 Likes

Sweet, we might start looking at 2.0 compatible Unity sender at Grimshaw in the New Year - will be in touch if we are able to find time to give it a proper go.

3 Likes