Trouble converting Rhino Blocks to Revit Families

Hello all!

I’m following the tutorial here to try and convert some blocks from Rhino to Revit.

I’m exploring the potential for creating facade models in Rhino in early stage design while the internals, areas and drawings are done in Revit.

I believe the ‘send’ part of the process has succeeded - I can see the geometry in the speckle stream. However when receiving in Revit, I have no geometry and some errors.

I previously had tried to assign a mapping to the blocks so that they come through as windows - but then cleared those mappings.

Link to the stream here - Speckle

Also uploaded the original Rhino model for reference. Can anyone spot something I’m doing wrong? Or could this be an issue with the geometry? (I modelled it directly in Rhino)

TestModel.3dm (5.2 MB)

Any help much appreciated!

Hey @mattolsen ,

Welcome to the community! Feel free to Introduce yourself :person_gesturing_ok: to the community if you want to! :grinning:

Thanks for sharing the Rhino file! It really helps us pinpoint the problem. Looks like you have nested blocks in the window. When i explode that, I was able to receive it just fine.

We should be supporting nested blocks though. We’ll look into this and get it fixed.

Let me know if this helps!

Revit_YDjIBgME2F

Thank you @gokermu!

I will post a quick introduction as soon as I can, but in short I work in the Design Technology team for Allies and Morrison Architects in London. We’re fairly new into Rhino as a production modelling tool and are looking at how it can help us be more agile in early stage design while still keeping our core model in Revit.

Yes, I think adding nested group support would be very useful, if it’s possible… in cases like this there are often repeated sub-components to these facade modules (e.g window frames). For our part, these wouldn’t necessarily have to come through into Revit as nested families - but if there was that option it would be great too.

1 Like